1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any body have any experience with the .22 conversion slides?I have just purchased a springfield full sized 1911(my very first 1911,unless you count my dads mark IV i shot as a kid),and i am interested in one of these kits for shooting economy.I would really like a first hand opinion from somebody who doesn't write for a magazine.
thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
The Marvel units are considered about the best available. If you do a search on the topic you will find a lot of information and opinions on this subject.

·
Registered
146 Posts
22 conversion

I have the Ceiner for my Officer's. It works fine and is a snap to install & remove. The accuracy is ok (S&W Model 41 it ain't) but then I don't use it for that. I would buy another.....

·
Registered
146 Posts
Does the unit 2 lock to the rear on an empty mag? I know that the unit 1, and the ciener units do not and that the jarvis conversion does lock to the rear. I think the last time this came up it was unclear if Marvel's unit 2 would or not.

Thanks

·
Registered
684 Posts
Info on Ciener

I bought a used Kimber (Ciener) .22 converter for a fullsize 1911. I like it very much. Functions perfectly with hi-velocity .22 ammo, adjustable sights, fairly accurate and a real creampuff to shoot. From a rest, it shoots into a dime-sized group at 25 yards.

Great for practicing hold and trigger release (and I'm using my carry gun, not some .22 I would only plink with) and with .22 hi velocity going for less than $9 a brick, I can shoot all day long if I want to. Also, no brass to chase for a change. I was going to buy a Ruger .22/45 but decided this made a lot more sense. And it costs about the same as a good used .22 pistol.

I also hear the Marvel is somewhat more accurate, but bear in mind that it costs about three times what the Ciener does. And there are lots of Cieners out there on the forums and ebay.

good shooting!

·
Registered
10 Posts
For what its worth I thought about purchasing a 22 conversion kit, then started using a progressive reloader. I seldom if ever shoot 22's anymore. That includes the 22 revolver or autoloader that I have. I would use the money for the down on another 1911. I just do not seem to have enough of them.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Does the unit 2 lock to the rear on an empty mag? I know that the unit 1, and the ciener units do not and that the jarvis conversion does lock to the rear. I think the last time this came up it was unclear if Marvel's unit 2 would or not.
No, the Unit 2 doesn't lock back on the last shot either. As far as I know, only the Jarvis does that.

I also hear the Marvel is somewhat more accurate, but bear in mind that it costs about three times what the Ciener does. And there are lots of Cieners out there on the forums and ebay.
The Marvel Unit 2 is only a little more money than the Ciener. The Unit 1 is the one that is super accurate.

I went with the Marvel Unit 2 because 1) I didn't need the super accuracy, and 2) I didn't want to spend that much money, but 3) Marvel's rep for quality is a lot higher than Ciener's and Marvel uses the same lockup mechanism and barrels in the Unit 2 as it uses in the Unit 1.

For what its worth I thought about purchasing a 22 conversion kit, then started using a progressive reloader.
I have a feeling that a reloader is in my future...

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
The Kart conversion unit locks back on the last round, and it uses a steel slide, too. If you could find one, it'd probably cost between 4 and 5 hundred bucks though, and so would the current clone made by John Dvorak in New York. The Ciener is a good, inexpensive way to go for plinking.

Bob

·
Registered
264 Posts
RANash said:
The Marvel Unit 2 is only a little more money than the Ciener. The Unit 1 is the one that is super accurate.

I went with the Marvel Unit 2 because 1) I didn't need the super accuracy, and 2) I didn't want to spend that much money, but 3) Marvel's rep for quality is a lot higher than Ciener's and Marvel uses the same lockup mechanism and barrels in the Unit 2 as it uses in the Unit 1.
The Marvel Unit 1's only $60 more than the Unit 2 ($355 vs. $300, while the two grades of Cieners are $250 and $200) so I've decided to get the Unit 1 once I feel I've advanced enough that its accuracy isn't lost on me.

The only question in my mind, which prompted the search that brought me this thread, is if the $300 Jarvis' slide-lock feature is useful enough for cheap action-type training that it'd be worth buying to supplement or replace my $200 Ciener. A totally different kettle of fish.

D.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Everyone stands behind the Marvel product, but you hear a lot of complaints about Ceiner. Interestingly, most problems with Ceiner, as far as I can tell, are based not on the product but the people or person behind the scenes.

Wilson has come out with a new conversion with milled aluminum mags that looks nice, but it doesn't lock back. In fact, the mention of Jarvis here is the first time I've heard of a steel slide, let alone a converstion slide that locks back. I'll have to look into that.

Personally, I'll place my order for the Marvel Unit 2 in January. For practicing combat shooting drills, you just can't beat a conversion unit.

·
Registered
354 Posts
When I bought the Marvel Unit 2, it was during a sale where it was selling for $250. Otherwise, I might have bought the Unit 1. On the other hand, the Unit 1 has the compensator piece sticking out the front end, so it would be a little different for drills.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Get the Marvel for the Ciener's price? Sweet!

One thing I've seen mentioned during my initial searches, is excessive wear on the Jarvis slide-lock notches. Makes me think that maybe I should give one a miss and just keep doing what I've been doing with the Ciener: End the mag with a snapcap. If it feeds I can practice FTFire drills; if (when... :D ) it cracks apart I can practice FTFeed drills.

D.

·
Registered
378 Posts
My Ciener only works with Winchester Powerpoints, or CCI's brass cased hot ammo (Stinger or Raptor, can't remember which). Normal hi velocity stuff isn't hot enough. It's pretty accurate though, and I've learned to count rounds. It's much nicer to shoot than a Ruger 22/45, have one of those too and touched it for the first time in 3 years today! After shooting it I remembered why I stopped when I got the Kimber.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have the Kimber conversion originally made by Ciener. (Now Kimber makes their own). It is very reliable and accurate. I use it in .22 rimfire contests.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hey,thanks for all the good advice fellas,sounds like none of the companies really make a bad product,it is just a matter of how good of a one i really need.
panzer

·
Registered
354 Posts
The Marvel Unit 2 can be dry-fired, which makes the fact that it doesn't lock back on the last round not such a big deal (at least to me).

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have no experience with anything but the Ceiner although I did shoot an original Colt Ace which was nice. The Ceiner on my government sized 1911 only takes me a few seconds to change as I use a captive spring on a full length spring guide rod on my .45 upper. I shoot the conversion unit A LOT, usually several hundred rounds every time I hit the range. I love it. I usually arrive with about 20-25 mags loaded and swap back and forth with my .45 upper and shoot one while the other cools (I also bring about 30 .45 loaded mags). I reload all the mags once or twice, unless it's really cold then I just dump my mags.

I shoot my converted .45 more than anything else, I just love it. I am going to get a commander length unit, full length barrel, and have it threaded for a suppressor. Can't wait.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've always favored the old Colt steel

slide .22 unit, preferably one which has been shortened to Detonics length, on an alloy frame. The floating chamber, lw frame, and shortened slide (sight radius) make the .22 about as hard to control as is a full size and wt steel framed 9mm. The alloy slide Ciener, etc, are way too "tame" for realistic training.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I bought the Ceiner Platinum version from brownells. I have about 1k rounds through it. Mostly Remington high velocity ammo. Runs like a dream for me.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts