1911Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,614 Posts
My spam alert will not allow it to load and says it isn't a safe site.

LOG

·
Premium Member
14,614 Posts
and the bullet exits about the same time as the empty case. :hrm: I overrode the spam alert.:biglaugh:

LOG

·
Registered
212 Posts
Very cool animation...Thanks for sharing.

·
Premium Member
14,614 Posts
Very cool animation...Thanks for sharing.
If the 1911 were a direct blow back it would look like this, however the slide should only move .100" at the point of bullet exit. It is again an incorrect depiction of the 1911. What a shame, it is as wrong as a plastic toy 1911.

LOG

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
If the intent is to show the way a 1911 functions with regards to component timing, you've got it way wrong. This is not how a 1911 works at all.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
If the 1911 were a direct blow back it would look like this, however the slide should only move .100" at the point of bullet exit. It is again an incorrect depiction of the 1911. What a shame, it is as wrong as a plastic toy 1911.

LOG
I have always wondered about that...when does rearward movement actually begin? Not as a raw physics question, but to understand the workings of a wonderful machine. I guess the two can't be separated

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
I considered posting this same animation, then saw how wrong it was. Very inaccurate.

·
Premium Member
14,614 Posts
I have always wondered about that...when does rearward movement actually begin? Not as a raw physics question, but to understand the workings of a wonderful machine. I guess the two can't be separated
The slide begins to move when the cartridge is ignited and the bullet contacts the lands to begin engraving, the case is then pushing against the breech/slide.
But unlike the video the 1911 uses a short recoil system whereby the barrel and slide are locked together. Due to the bullet pulling the barrel forward, the slide is retarded, but still pulls the barrel back .100" at the point of bullet exit. The slide continues by momentum and the barrel links down.

LOG

1 - 16 of 16 Posts