1911Forum banner

1911 45ACP 8 Round Mags.

2K views 17 replies 16 participants last post by  zdragon52 
#1 ·
What 1911 45ACP 8 round mags work best? Wadcutter, ball, and HP.
McCormic
Wilson
Novak
Wolf
Les Baer
Mec-Gar

#4 ·
Tripp Research are outstanding. I have a bunch of them and they run semiwadcutters in every 1911 I own. I've also seen them turn Jam-0-Matic 1911s into runners.

They have really nice, sturdy construction, use heavy springs and the hybrid follower.... and Virgil was kind enough to actually engineer 8 real rounds into the tube.

#6 ·
industry standard

For years it's been the Wilson 47D; I've had flawless performance from the one I bought to test (my other eight are Mag-Packs).

That said, I've also observed good results with folks and their CMC's.

#9 ·
The best I have is the Metalform X-tended Length 8-round; 45L-797.
It is a natural 8 round magazine, with their convex follower and plenty of spring. The bad news is that it protrudes about 5/16" from the butt of the gun. This is no more than the thickness of the usual base pad but does not look as neat.

Otherwise, the McCormick Power Mag is pretty good.

My Wilsons feed well but require periodic spring replacement.
My Metalforms other than above, Shooting Stars, and Colts all work well now, but took some tweaking as to followers and springs.

#10 ·
I am using Novak's right now, and think they are the best design on the market, but the execution still appears to be somewhat weak. Continuing reports of cracked feedlips, and the basepads don't take much abuse.
I've been using Shooting Star and Power Mag for fifteen years, and have had excellent service from them.
Checkmate Industries has a new line of 7- and 8-round mags, and they are very good. Especially if you want a flush-fit mag, I think they are possibly the best. They have a new follower and feedlip design, better than anything on the market, but they are still making some running changes in response to feedback from a limited number of users. I was able to test four of them, on a limited basis, and they are the best mags I have ever used. Checkmate is also working on a mag with extended tube, a la Novak's, Tripp, et al., with the improved follower and feedlips, and they are probably going to be worth waiting for; "A few weeks" is the word we got.

#11 ·
I am fairly new to 1911's, however, I HAVE researched the mag issue heavily on multiple forums, plus gun mags, plus used mags myself in my Springfield 1911, and here's the advice I've pulled together for myself from all these sources about 8 rounders. These are the only brands of 8 rounders that I will own right now:

* Tripp
* McCormick (specifically the Power mags get great reviews)
* Wilson (47d or the new "ETM" mags, redesigned for 8rd cap)

Also, it's worth noting that Checkmate Industries supposedly makes great mags, and are making a totally new 8 rounder that was redesigned from the ground up with input of 1911-specialized gunsmiths. However I've seen reports at M1911.org forum that a few people had problems with some of the early ones, and Checkmate decided to downsize the tubes by .002 in order to fit better in tight magwells (the mags were sticking or not dropping free in some cases). With that issue fixed, these Checkmate 8 rounders will likely be right up there with the above brands.

#14 ·
Just ordered 3 8 round Shooting Stars, to go with the one I have.

Those, plus my 8 rd 47D and the ETM means I'm ready for the next match!

Thanks for the advice, gents!

#17 ·
1st Choice McCormick PowerMags - I've never had an issue.

2nd Choice McCormick Match Grade - I've never had an issue.

3st Choice McCormick Shooting Star - I've never had an issue.

4th Choice Colt - I've never had an issue.

On the other hand I've had nothing but abysmal results from Wilson. Admittedly my experience with them was limited because they now live in a drawer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.