1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of making my 1911 .45ACP into a 9mm. The .40S&W would be nice but for almost half the cost of .45ACP ammo the 9 is the way to go for me. Just out of curiosity, can you use .45ACP mags for the .40S&W?
Now for the questions. What is needed for a Government 5" Colt .45ACP to be converted into a 9mm parabellum shooter?
Is it just a barrel and bushing, or a complete top end? Who has the barrel? How about mags. Are they available and cost?
Thanks

·
Registered
900 Posts
Flashbang,
You are really going to have to want this to convert to a 9MM. The whole top end will have to be replaced, as well as the ejector on the frame. By the time its all said and done, you could have a 38 Super Auto for about the same money, and a harder hitting 9 in the process!

·
Premium Member
3,232 Posts
Flashbang,

To convert a gun from 45 to 9mm you will need a new slide, new barrel and new ejector...slide, barrel and ejector you can find most anywhere..every now and then you can actually find a conversion unit for sale on one of the auction sites. 9mm mags are available through colt and mecgar. Also the angle of the feedramp may be different from 45 to 9mm.
For the 40, yes you can use 45 mags to feed them. Two things happen though..First the feed lips are a little wider so the round will sit up higher. This may or maynot cause some problems. Also factory 40 is a bit shorter and factory mags will have a spacer in the back like the 9mm mags. If you reload and load your 40 out longer like 1.200-1.250 you should have no preoblems.
Good luck..if you really want a cool gun, convert your gun to a 9x23WIN.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Isn't the frame ramp different? If you want a 9mm buy an original or get one of the new Springfield Loaded.

·
2,975 Posts
The ramp isn't that different. A 9mm top end will work on a 45 frame provided whoever puts it together pays attention to the fit and extractor tuning.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I had the same idea as you, a couple of years ago. After looking for almost a year for a used or even a new one, I gave up and built one on a Caspian 45 frame. I later talked to Gary at Caspian and he told me the feed ramp on the 9/38super/9x23 series of frames is different but I was able to get mine to feed well enough to take 8th place in my class at last years American Handgunner. The gun ran perfectly and I never experienced a malfucntion of any kind. I use Wolf 9mm ammo and never had a problem with it. I've run about 5000-6000 rds through it so far.

If you have a 1911 frame or gun that you don't use, you can convert it to 9mm for the price of the top end. If you decide later that you want to return it to original, just replace the ejector and put the old top end back on. If you don't have anything setting in the safe you may be $$$'s ahead to look for a Springfield but be prepared to "LOOK" hard. If you have any questions, feel free to e mail me.

------------------
KEEP SHOOTIN' PINMAN www.bcarmory.com

[This message has been edited by Pinman (edited 05-25-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Pinman (edited 05-25-2001).]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts