1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a single stack frame with a W/N ramp cut that I wasn't using, so I decided to build it using a Commander length slide with a bull barrel with a W/N ramp. This was one of my most frustrating gun builds!!!

I had to fit the slide, then fit the barrel, do a trigger job, etc. When I thought it should function reliably, I tested it with dummy rounds, and it seemed to feed and eject properly......so off to the range. I must have gone to the range six times over the course of one week to finally get the gun working properly...... I think the slide was out of spec, and this contributed to a lot of issues. The slide did not have a cut for a barrel bushing, so I had to fit the barrel to the slide, but there were still other issues....... I finally got the gun to function reliably, and the accuracy is good, so I am just happy to have another gun.....I would say this was one of the most frustrating gun build ever, but sometimes the purchase of aftermarket parts makes it a challenge.....even so, I enjoy making my own pistols!

·
Registered
301 Posts
Bull barrels can cause lots of pinch/spring points that can be had to detect.
Glad it's up and running. Where are the pictures?????

·
Registered
287 Posts
Ehh, am I missing something?
Don't all 1911 bull barrels need to be fit to the slide?

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
With regards to using bull barrels, it is the luck of the draw whether or not the barrel needs fitting.....I have some that were fine and dropped into the slide, and others, like the 4.25" bull barrel I used lately, needed extensive fitting......however, the Commander slide may have been out of spec which could have caused issues for the barrel fit as well.......

·
Premium Member
8,483 Posts
What were the malfunctions and corrections ?

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1911 9mm Commander build: Issues and corrections

1) the barrel hood was too narrow to properly fit the slide: Welded and refit
2) The barrel would not drop properly with not enough clearance on the top of the barrel at lockdown:
I had to remove metal from the front of the barrel about 1/4" behind the muzzle, removed metal
from the underside of the barrel, had to remove metal behind the locking lug at the top of the
chamber, and had to remove metal on the W/N ramp to seat properly at full lock down....
3) The disconnector recess on the underside at the back of the slide was too shallow, and I had to remove metal, but this is often a normal procedure.

I normally don't mind fitting a bull barrel, but this was the most extensive fitting I have ever done..... The slide I had purchased did not have a cut for a barrel using a bushing...... I finally got everything fitted properly, and the gun is remarkably reliable...... the gun is also very accurate, which is often the case with a properly fitted bull barrel.....

·
Premium Member
8,483 Posts
Good work. Thank you for responding.

I sometimes get right barrel fit just right first time. But I always reserve barrel fitting declared done for after test firing. Once in awhile I have to go back in and relieve high/bind points. Just completed a softball gun barrel replacement and noticed two points just after fitting but let them go to see if they would burnish or impact settle. No go. Needed very minor metal removal at three points which gave me about a 1 to 1 1/4” gun at 25 yards with GI SWC match ammo.

I have a bull barrel for my 9mm SA Loaded target. There is a buyer out there waiting for Maryland Collector status to buy it. If he doesn’t follow through the Loaded will get the gs fit bull barrel.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts