1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Dawson Tactical Elites work great for me in competition.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
to be honest what ever works best in your gun. Not trying to be a smart a$$ but every gun is different.

WIth that said all i use is Tripp Cobra for my two 9mm's. Hell its what i use in every caliber.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Wilson makes awesome 45 mags, but I haven't been impressed with the 9mm ETMs. Tripp Research is the best thing ive found. Also, depending on your gun 38 super mags may work well. I use my tripp 38 mags in my aegis whether im running the 38s barrel or the 9

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
I have owned and operated 9MM 1911s for quite a few years, to include multiple Colts, Kimbers, Dan Wessons, Springfield and STI. Within my humble experience, the later 9MM 1911s with the factory, or custom fitted, ramp style barrels tend run reliably with any quality magazine. I've only owned one factory 9MM 1911 with ramped barrel that did not run reliably as received. My most used 9MM 1911 magazine is the 9 rd. Metalform "Springfield front ramp" type. This is the magazine Springfield and STI provide with their guns. Excellent choice IMHO. It is different in concept from all others, and the one I wish had been available many years ago when I was trying to get Colts, with the traditional non-ramp type barrels, to run reliably...ymmv

·
Registered
890 Posts
In order of preference:

Tripp Cobramag........flawless, Wilson Combat, Checkmate, Mec Gar. The only mag I have found totally unreliable in MY 1911 is Metalform. The only difference I can see is the Metalform has a rib running down the front of the mag and it has a flat split follower. The not so funny story is it was shipped with a new gun purchase from Fusion.....but that is for another thread.

Tripp Research is my vote for the best!

·
Registered
5,777 Posts
I've found that with the 10 round W/C ETM 9mm's; I had to leave the mags fully loaded for a few days (I actually keep them loaded all the time) for the mag springs to take their "set."

Otherwise; first round feeding from a new mag was problematic.

Every brand of nine rounder I ever had was no problem.

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Wilson makes awesome 45 mags, but I haven't been impressed with the 9mm ETMs. Tripp Research is the best thing ive found. Also, depending on your gun 38 super mags may work well. I use my tripp 38 mags in my aegis whether im running the 38s barrel or the 9
I have some Wilson ETM's and some Tripp's. I prefer the Tripps although I can't really tell you why. I've read that the geometry on the Tripps is better but I have no idea if that is true or not. They both function fine.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
on my ten round 9 mm mags, if i load them fully, they are very difficult to seat on a closed chamber, so i load only to 9 rounds, even in my IDPA shooting. They also nose-dive the top round so much that i have to use a screw driver to lift the bullet nose up to unload them with my thumb. Personally, trying to fit 10 rounds into a mag the same length as a 9 round mag just leads to potential problems. I have bump pads or extended bases on all my mags. I have at least a dozen 9 mm 1911 mags from various manufactures; they all work fine, as long as i don't try to cram the 10 rounders with ten rounds.

all the best....

·
Banned
7,730 Posts
As much as a brand of 9mm 1911 firearm may come off the same assembly line, it may exhibit different magazine preferences from some of its siblings. You have to test. Test one at a time. Do not order six to get the price break. Metalform has two styles. One has the traditional spacer plate in the rear to make the round sit forward. One has the crimp or fold in the front of the tube to make the round sit to the rear. Your gun may like one style, neither style, or both styles. My colt conventional barreled 9mm 1911s like the Tripp and the traditional style Metalform. I have purchased one of the Springfield style Metalforms but have yet to test it. What my guns like may not apply to your gun.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.