1911Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question for the 9mm 1911 forum members. I would like to know what mags you have found to work the best and the cheapest place to buy them. I just bought a Kimber Stainless Target 9mm today and forsee needing some extra mags for it. Thanks a lot for your input.

·
Super Moderator
14,978 Posts
I bought some Metalform mags as part of a group buy on this forum about 2 months ago. These mags have worked flawlessly for hundreds of rounds each. They cost about $15 in the group buy. BTW, there's a group buy going on right now.

On the other hand, I had previous bought 6 Pachmayr mags mail order from Sarco, for about $9.99 each (iirc). They feed OK, but don't lock the slide back after last round. I've "tweaked" the followers and have been able to get a couple to work somewhat reliably, but they don't stay that way.

Forget the Pachmayr's and go with the Metalforms.

Good shooting.....RR

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hello,

I use the Metalforms as well as they came stock in Springfield's guns. Very reliable mags. If you go in on the Metalform group purchase, make sure you get the "springfield" front-ramped type.

In ~1500 rounds, I've had 1 failure to lock the slide back (someone had tried to load 10 rounds in the 9 rnd mag, and the spring had actually binded on itself inside the tube. It did, however fire all 9 rounds even w/ the spring doubled over on a coil. 1 FTF. . . don't know what the cause was. I was not the shooter at the time. Other than that, flawless.

-'Chung

·
Registered
107 Posts
Will the springfield ramped mags work in a Colt series 70? I am getting in on the group buy and was trying to figure out if I should go with the OEM or the Springfield type.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I've actually not had problems with either type. . . my pistol came with the older version. . . but it also has a ramped barrel which I thought was strange for a stock gun, but I guess that helps the feeding as well.

-'Chung

·
Registered
107 Posts
Having not seen a springfield ramp type mag, is there actaully some kind of lip that helps feed the round forawrd and up into the chamber?

Decisions, decisions. They only come in stainless, so they wouldn't match the blued pistol, but if they feed more reliably...

Hmm, any way to blue a SS mag?

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Well, I went with the Mec-Gar mags since it seems that's who made the Kimber mag and it worked fine. I got them yesterday and shot 200 rds through them tonight. Not a single problem feeding, but they wouldn't lock the slide back when empty.

·
Registered
889 Posts
About 10 years ago I bought 5 Pachmayr stainless steel magazines for my 9mm Series 80 Colt.

They are marked Pachmayr and have made in Italy on them.

I got them from a mail order catalog - it may have been Midway.

They have been flawless for at least 8,000 rounds.

Does anyone know who made them for Pachmayr and where I might buy them?

Thanks, Art

·
Registered
854 Posts
Pachmayer mags

I have 9 in like new condition you can have for $100 to include shipping.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have bought 9mm mags from metalform and have found them to be excellent. I'm waiting for someone to start up another buy so I can get some 40S&W mags.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Well, I bought three of the 9rd Metalform mags this weekend at the gun show and they work GREAT! They fed and locked back when empty EVERY time! The number on the package is: "MGSPI0927" and it says "Magazine Springfield 9MM 9RD" above it. Hope this helps anyone else out. :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts