1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is a 1911 forum but would like some thought on a 9mm on the 1911 platform vs say a S&W or Springfield.

For years I took a 40 caliber over the 9. About 6 months ago I picked up a Sig 2022 in 9 and like they way it shot. With the improvement of the 9mm ammo I was thinking about another 9. I thought the benefit of the 9 was the number of rounds you get.

The first 9 that I owned was the S&W Model 39 when it first came out and really did not think much of the gun or caliber.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
I'd take a 9mm +P round, over .40 any day of the week. And if that round was in a 1911, it's just that much better.

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
I've had various 1911 type pistols, starting in the '60s, and have come to really enjoy the 9MM 1911s. Light recoil, even with +P, +P+,etc, accurate, reliable, durable,etc. It is fun to make cute comments denigrating the 9MM, but I carried the 9MM 40 hrs. a week for years, and never felt undergunned, or less of a man because it was not a .40, .45 or .50. The current generation of 9MM 1911s, using the ramped barrels, Kimber, Dan Wesson, STI, etc. have been just as reliable for me as my 1911 types in the "proper" .45ACP and/or .38 Super, and are the guns I enjoy shooting most now days, although the FN/Browning Hi Power is a close second, or sometimes first...ymmv

·
Registered
95 Posts
I currently own and shoot 3 year old Rock Island Arsenal 1911 tactical 9mm. Had some trouble at first with a bad magazine, changed to Metalcraft and have had about 3000 faultless rounds. Reliable, accurate, sights are so-so, but the trigger is wonderful. Price is definitely right. Check out the Manufacturer's Forum for Rock Island to get a feel for how good this gun is.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I own 2 Kimbers and one WC all in 9mm.I really enjoy shooting all three.My Kimber Pro Carry II has over 2500 rounds thru it and is carried daily.The only changed was the extractor to WC bulletproof extractor.I think you will enjoy shooting the 1911 in 9mm,the ammo is a little cheaper and quite easy to find.:cool:

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
I really like my 9mm 1911 with 4" ramped bull barrel.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I have been considering a 9mm 1911 also. The ammo is 1/2 the price of .45 ammo, so you can shoot twice as much for the same money.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Do it!
I have a Star FireStar,Star,Dan Wesson's,and Springfield Emp.
I love them, and have so much fun shooting them.
One of my Wesson's ,the ECO is a carry piece.

To bad about the Mod 39-2.
I love mine.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I hear the STI Trojan is a very nice 1911 in 9mm
I can verify that! I have a 9mm Trojan set up for competition that I shoot in IDPA. Really sweet pistol. The smooth action, accuracy, soft recoil, and crisp 3lb trigger make for a great shooter. I have several STI 1911 and 2011 pistols in 9mm and they are a pleasure to shoot.

My 9mm Trojan.

Attachments

·
Registered
726 Posts
I saw a new STI Spartan 9mm at Cabela's recently for $650. It was really hard to pass up. Looked and felt like a fantastic pistol.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Highly recommended a RIA Tactical in 9mm. I bought mine recently and it has been flawless, awesome bang for the buck. May not have the wow factor or Kimber or SA but it works every time.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Any 9mm 1911 is a great plate and steel shooting gun. I also own a commander sized Kimber for CCW when I feel like it. My wife loves her EMP in 9mm. We also have full sized 5" 1911s in 9mm for sports/competition shooting. Hers is a Springfield loaded model and mine is one I built myself as a training exercise out of parts. I understand that the 9mm round is gaining acceptance again in the LEO arena as there is no real ballistic advantage to larger calibers with modern defensive JHP ammo. Any of the major manufacturers should serve you well.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts