1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Off a Bench, factory or handloads, what do you consider acceptable accuracy for your 1911's at 25 yards?

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
From a bench? Anything that groups bigger than 3"-4" would not be acceptable to me.

My most accurate 1911 will shoot 1" groups from a rest. My least accurate still keeps them within 2". All with handloads.

·
Banned
13,564 Posts
I'm not interested in any 1911 that won't shoot 2" or less with factory ammo.

My Baers, Browns, WC's, NHC's and DW's will all do that. I have 2 Colts that will and 2 that did not. One got reworked by Robert D'Andrea at Benchmark Precision. The other is down at ACW getting a few mods.

In this age...there is no reason to settle for a scattergun in a 1911.

·
Registered
6,453 Posts
Tactical vs. precision accuracy

Handgun accuracy falls into to basic categories, tactical and precision. Any tactical/combat handgun*with any ammo*should group within the span of your hand with you fingers pointing up ward, "Handspan group size" say 4 inches at 25 yards. A precision handgun should group at least half that at 50 yards. In other words 2 inches or less at 50 yards with Match ammo.

What really counts is the ability to stop multiple threats and going home to your family at the end of the day!

John, Retired LEO, POST Certified L/E Firearms Instructor, SuperSeniorSingleStackShootist

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Handgun accuracy falls into to basic categories, tactical and precision. Any tactical/combat handgun*with any ammo*should group within the span of your hand with you fingers pointing up ward, "Handspan group size" say 4 inches at 25 yards. A precision handgun should group at least half that at 50 yards. In other words 2 inches or less at 50 yards with Match ammo.

What really counts is the ability to stop multiple threats and going home to your family at the end of the day!

John, Retired LEO, POST Certified L/E Firearms Instructor, SuperSeniorSingleStackShootist
I'm thinking that mine falls within the "tactical accuracy" range. :p

Seriously, though, what should I consider doing or having done to shrink these groups up a bit?

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Over the years, I've seen 4" at 25 yds. suggested as a minimum for the pistol itself. That way, if the shooter his doing his job, shots would be within 2" of the aiming point. Sounds reasonable to me. My own preference is that the firearm be capable of putting 5 rounds in 2" or less at 25 yds. I can only personally verify this by shooting carefully over a rest. I do have pistols with factory targets showing sub 2" groups at 50 yds. Now I can't do it, but it's nice to know that the pistol is mechanically capable of that...ymmv

Ps, Long ago and far away, my issued 1911A1 may have only been capable of 12" at 25 yards, but it was still very comforting to have..

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,328 Posts
I can shoot 4" groups with almost all of my guns at 25yds, so I guess that's acceptable to me. I have never owned a gun that shoots dramatically better than the others.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I use the 10-8 dry fire target but am now thinking about something else. Something home made like a small dot on a white piece of paper for dry fire practice.

·
Premium Member
14,684 Posts
Hell, at 25 yds. I shake and move 5 inches around the bull so how can I shoot 2" groups?
from a rest;)

Most do well to keep all shots in an 8" circle @ 25yrds off hand

To the OP's question, doesn't matter if 1911 or polywondergun, or if 3" or 6" barrel for that matter, if it won't shoot 4" or less from the rest with good ammo, it's a stinker to me.
So 4" or less is "acceptable" accuracy to me.
To be called "good" accuracy by my standards, it has to punch 2" or less @ 25yrds

..L.T.A.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Is this the target that came with the gun?
This is the target that came back with the pistol after I sent it off to get some work done (solid barrel busing to replace the S'70 collet bushing, lower and flare ejection port, machine Novak cut on slide and instal HD rear sight, and a reliability package). John said he shot this off a sand bag rest at 15 yards. I haven't had a chance to shoot it off a bench yet myself.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
I don't shoot my 1911s at 25 yards. However, if I did, I'd accept 4" groups. I cannot do that off hand. I can keep them all in a standard paper plate at 25 yards.

Controlled pairs less than a hand span at 15 yards or less is my goal. Every gun I own can do that.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Maybe someone here with a better memory than mine will chime in, but there WAS an "acceptable accuracy requirement" when the 1911 (and 1911A1) were still in service.

Dan

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
i was re-reading a Guns and Ammo mag (maybe NRA's Rifleman?) last evening, several 45's were reviewed and tested by I presume experienced shooters, and the ammo results off a sandbag at 25 yards were 2-4 inches.

I am pretty sure most pistols are capable of greater accuracy than the shooter.

All the best....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts