1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1911 is away for some minor tweaking done. While it's with the smith should I get a spare extractor fitted?

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
Yes, might consider a few more things as well.

Yes, might consider a few more things as well. I like Bill Wilson's list but there are many.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Why not a firing pin stop and extractor pair?

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
A spare extractor is a good idea to have on hand. If you're having any treatment done to the rear of the slide, I'd definitely have an extra one done at the same time so it will match if the one that's installed in the weapon now ever breaks.

·
Banned
7,484 Posts
Tuning an extractor is an easy to learn skill -- but one you should learn if you like to stay with the M1911 system. I have extra tuned extractors for my primary M1911s, but I tuned them myself.

This isn't a part you're gonna change during a magazine change in a street gunfight, but between rounds in a match or during a training weekend.

If you mean "fitted" so the extractor is cosmetically blended to the rear of the slide the pistol doesn't care. Neither the pistol nor I are in the least concerned about this. ;)

-- Chuck

·
Premium Member
14,641 Posts
Good posting. Since the fp stop plays a part in the extractor fitting process I'd get both.
You could of course, but the stop is fit to the slide and the extractor is fit to the stop so an extra stop is not necessary for a good extractor fit. Of course you could have every part as back up and carry it as an assembled gun.:biglaugh:

LOG

·
Premium Member
9,375 Posts
You could of course, but the stop is fit to the slide and the extractor is fit to the stop so an extra stop is not necessary for a good extractor fit. Of course you could have every part as back up and carry it as an assembled gun.:biglaugh:

LOG
I was thinking the same thing...

Extra extractors, Yes. FP stop. No.

Regards,
Greyson

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
Most extractors do not require fitting, but they may need to have the tension adjusted. I carry spare extractors in my gun tool box I take to matches. I have never needed to replace an extractor, yet. But I have saved a fellow competitor from not finishing cause I had a spare extractor when his bit the dust at a match.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts