1911Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know Ty and dsk know this, but anyone can answer. I forgot the exact date the 'A1 came out, was it '24? I know you guys have talked about the transition in the military, but how long did it take for the 'A1 to hit the civilian market? Were original 1911s still availble from dealers back then along side 'A1s until they were depleted out of Colt's stock? Just wondering....thanks guys!

Oh, one other thing. What can I expect to pay for a 1911 in poor shape that I can use as a rebuild? I just want to reblue it and replace only the badly worn parts for like parts in better shape (if necessary) and use it as a shooter not a collector. Ty, didn't you say this is what your doing currently?

------------------
"They all fall to hardball!"

[This message has been edited by M1991A1 (edited 05-01-2001).]

·
Administrator
74,665 Posts
Colt made up 10,000 of the new "Model 1911 Improved" pistols for the Army in 1924, which was all they had the budget for to purchase at the time. From that time on all civilian production was the newer model as well. The M1911A1 designation itself was approved many years later, I think as late as 1936.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Hello 91A!,
The one I am building right now is going to set me back about 500 bucks, but I was lucky in that when I took down all the parts everything looked great except the extracter rod is a little worn, if I have to replace that I will be out another $15 or so, unless I put in a wilson then its 30. I paid 350 for the base gun not including tax.
Cheers
Ty www.CoolGunSite.com

[This message has been edited by Ty (edited 05-02-2001).]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts