1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend was shooting his Taurus 1911 and the barrel bushing came apart. We found the pieces and spring and spring cap. The end result was that I bought it at a very reduced price. I replaced the bushing with a Colt bushing. Accuracy was poor about Army standards. Total tolerances measured .023 combining slide to OD of bushing and ID of bushing to OD of barrel. Ordered new bushing from Taurus for $12.95. So much for lifetime warranty. Total tolerances measured .007. Rear sight comes loose when firing. I will mark slide and rear sight when windage is correct and put JB Weld in cavity of rear sight and that should hold. I would not pay full price for a Taurus but recommend a used pistol and be prepared to do some work on it. Some people buy a Taurus 1911 and spend more than a Kimber on it. That doesn't make sense. I am more interested in performance than pretty.

·
Administrator
72,153 Posts
Taurus has had some pretty hideous QC problems in recent years. There was a time when their PT-92 was a fantastic bargain for the price, given that it was basically a Beretta 92 copy, but in recent years I've head of sights falling off and other problems with those as well. When you can't even machine a sight dovetail to spec it's time to shut the whole company down and re-train employees, but instead Taurus continued to blunder on like it wasn't a big deal. And like you noted their so-called lifetime warranty is nothing to feel good about either. Assuming they agree to cover repairs on your pistol your grandkids will be in retirement homes by the time they're ready to send it back.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Range report on used Taurus 1911

At the range Sunday with my grandsons. The 1911 functioned well with 230 gr cast lead bullets pushed by 9.8 grains of AA #7. This is the recommended low load. Next reloading I will load 10 grains of AA#7. I had not done the above rear sight work and after about 30 rounds it came loose again. I have ordered the Wilson recoil spring and buffer. Next trip I will check these additions. Some folks wonder about the magazines. I have the original plus one Magpul and one Wilson Combat magazine. All work fine.

·
Premium Member
15,193 Posts
Of course you don't know who may have done what to the rear sight before you got it. Typically you have use heat to get those sights out when replacing.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
1. Read stories on gun forums of the horrible problems people have with Taurus firearms. :eek:

2. Buy Taurus firearm anyway. :dope:

3. Post stories of problems with newly purchased Taurus firearm. :bawling:

·
Registered
110 Posts
I've got a Taurus-doorstop. So much for lifetime warranty.
It's too much trouble to keep sending it back to them.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Boy you guys must not have bought any S&Ws lately! One guy at my club goes, "my front sight fell off!" No, the barrel unscrewed because it wasn't pinned and was finger tight! Try S&W QC and CS before knocking Taurus! Or Kimber. Or Henry (they are likely to send it back with far more problems than it started with! I mean OMG!). Or Ruger, or Mossberg, or Lee Precision Reloading, or, or... or HP computers for that matter.

Yes I speak from experience, not "in my uninformed and uneducated opinion...". If I want that there are lots of idiots running around here tearing stuff up and telling me how opressed they are getting free housing, free food, free clothes, free education (OK, I might bitch about that one my self!) and "want to be free!"

How many here whining, actually sent a gun back to Taurus, or are just repeating what your buddies' friend's bar buddies' cousin's friend heard on the net posted by some millinial? Seriously, how many?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Boy you guys must not have bought any S&Ws lately! One guy at my club goes, "my front sight fell off!" No, the barrel unscrewed because it wasn't pinned and was finger tight! Try S&W QC and CS before knocking Taurus! Or Kimber. Or Henry (they are likely to send it back with far more problems than it started with! I mean OMG!). Or Ruger, or Mossberg, or Lee Precision Reloading, or, or... or HP computers for that matter.

Yes I speak from experience, not "in my uninformed and uneducated opinion...". If I want that there are lots of idiots running around here tearing stuff up and telling me how opressed they are getting free housing, free food, free clothes, free education (OK, I might bitch about that one my self!) and "want to be free!"

How many here whining, actually sent a gun back to Taurus, or are just repeating what your buddies' friend's bar buddies' cousin's friend heard on the net posted by some millinial? Seriously, how many?
Me rolling my 👀s

1 - 8 of 8 Posts