1911Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1911 that my dad who is an amazing woodworker is making a display box for. I know how he is and I'm sure it will be amazing. I'm hoping someone can help me with finding a appropriate insert for the case. I don't want a cheap looking foam insert that you can get anywhere. Something that you would see in custom display cases for high end firearms. I assume felt lined would be the best. He said he would do the box but I need to find the insert. Hoping someone can help.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
You want this type of look, I assume.

Thats felt over a very high density foam. Im not sure how a non-professional will reproduce that.

Revolver Air gun Trigger Line Gun barrel

Photograph Revolver White Green Air gun

Reactions: Retired AF CE

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The partitions I like but not exactly what I'm looking for. AZguy1911 is right on point. That's exactly what I'm looking for. I have found some info on Google and one "instructable" on how to use a cardboard stack, spray adhesive, felt and a glue gun. I think that would be one of those projects that about the 5th time you did it you'd be happy with it. I like the idea of a high density foam and felt covering. Think that might work. I'll keep looking and figure something out. Will keep updating on what I find. I figure these guys that are building these display cases are getting them somewhere. Can't imaging they are all "one offs" and the woodworker that did the box did the insert also.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You get the felt, and the foam, and cut-out for the stuff going inside - you can then use the parts/gear and sandbag to force the HW down on the felt, to the adhesive, on the foam.

Something like this.
Thanks for the reply. I saw this last night and have done some research and thinking about this. I'm gonna get some stuff and do some trials on different shapes to see how I can get it to come out. I would guess it can be made to look pretty good with some practice..

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You want this type of look, I assume.

Thats felt over a very high density foam. Im not sure how a non-professional will reproduce that.

View attachment 622588
View attachment 622587
Im not sure how I'd produce that either. Someone is though. These companies are getting them from someone id think. I have a few emails out asking some places that sell these boxes if they have just the insert or where I could get one. Your right on the $ tho. This is exactly what I'm looking for. Not sure if I want the mags there or something else. This box I really like and I sorta like the ammo rail idea as well.
Product Rectangle Wood Material property Pet supply

·
Registered
42 Posts
I like the way it looks for those pistols. Just not what I'm looking for. Here's an example of one idea. View attachment 622610
Any update? The 1911 I have on order, I’m wanting to do something like this.
I really like the Negrini stuff. (The internals of their cases) Have you hit them up about blank inserts, etc? Im sure one of these companies or people that does this for a living will help you, especially since it’s your father making it for you. Please keep us updated. Even with the Negrini… I think you have to trace your gun out, then cut it out if buying from their website. I assume the ones you’d buy from NHC already come in a government, commander, etc layout already.

when I do decide on one and buy it, I’ll leave it up to my wife to do this. She has an entire craft room and she’s damn good at things like this. She’ll practice on something first. I’d think you’d almost have to have a spray on adhesive on the foam then install the felt. How to make that felt look flawless??? I have no idea on that.

One last question. What kind of wood is your father using to build it? I might tell my father in law that’s what I want for Christmas. Hand made 1911 box.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Any update? The 1911 I have on order, I’m wanting to do something like this.
I really like the Negrini stuff. (The internals of their cases) Have you hit them up about blank inserts, etc? Im sure one of these companies or people that does this for a living will help you, especially since it’s your father making it for you. Please keep us updated. Even with the Negrini… I think you have to trace your gun out, then cut it out if buying from their website. I assume the ones you’d buy from NHC already come in a government, commander, etc layout already.

when I do decide on one and buy it, I’ll leave it up to my wife to do this. She has an entire craft room and she’s damn good at things like this. She’ll practice on something first. I’d think you’d almost have to have a spray on adhesive on the foam then install the felt. How to make that felt look flawless??? I have no idea on that.

One last question. What kind of wood is your father using to build it? I might tell my father in law that’s what I want for Christmas. Hand made 1911 box.
Not too much progress so far. I have several emails out to companies that have custom cases to see if they can provide any info on where they get them if not done in house. I have some ideas and so far that's about it. I'm still just trying to figure it out. As far as the wood he's using, I'm not sure. This was left up to him and supposed to be a "surprise" to me. He works with a lot of obscure and exotic woods that I've never heard of so I'm sure it will be interesting. I will post here when/ if I have more info.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I like the way it looks for those pistols. Just not what I'm looking for. Here's an example of one idea. View attachment 622610

I found this online. Might check them out

1 - 11 of 11 Posts