1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i came up with a cheap idea to mount my GI in my closet out of reach of kids and easily accessible for a home defense weapon....

let me know what you think...

only big downside is its visible from outside the closet with the door open. but its at the perfect height for me to just reach up and pop it out of the holster.

3 bolts from ACE, $.21
blackhawk serpa holster, $30
scrap wood and screws, free

not too shabby....

·
Registered
46 Posts
its okay but shouldnt it be hiden more.. cant the kids just pull up a chair and pop it out of the holster... why not just go to home depot and pick up a fire proof safe for $40-$60

·
Banned
12,388 Posts
Good job. Looks good up there. Holster retention is adjustable, so you should have no problem.

When I was a kid, I would stack boxes on a chair to get high enough to reach stuff like guns. Beware if your kids are climbers.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well right now i only have a 1 year old and a 4 year old... so no worries of climbing yet... plus we pretty much have our eyes on them, and the gun is usually on me....

when they grow up ill probably enclose it in a black box or something so its less noticeable and mount it higher

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
big old speaker magnet or other high cap magnet, mount whereever you want.

i'd move that rig to the inside wall, just above the hinge...out of sight, easy to get to.

·
Registered
46 Posts
big old speaker magnet or other high cap magnet, mount whereever you want.

i'd move that rig to the inside wall, just above the hinge...out of sight, easy to get to.
+1 couldnt agree more off to the side out of sight but just as easy to get to.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
One suggestion, if I may.... I recently made a mount for my truck to hold an XD 45 Compact under the dashboard. One thing I would suggest is that you attach a dark piece of cloth, vinyl, or whatever, and simply let it hang down to disguise the fact that there's a gun hanging there. Works wonders in my truck and it doesn't hamper accessibility in the least.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Looks like a great mount, BUT I would make sure it is not visible at all.....even to those standing close to the closet.

ETA: Missed the part about children. I would get something like a small safe if I had kids. I was considering a setup similar to yours for under our sofa in the front room, except that I would only keep a gun there when I was in the room. And we do not even have kids.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I'd get a bedside handgun safe.

I'm sorry but I think the potential need for a handgun to be available that fast is outweighed by the potential harm of losing a child.

A good friend of mine has a son who is a L.E.O. He placed his loaded Glock on the top shelf of similar closet in the master bedroom after work and took one of his twin son's to the grocery store.

While he was gone his wife heard a shot and found the other (4 year old) son suffering from a gun shot wound to the head, which he didn't recover from. The 4 year old had grabbed a chair and climbed up on top and got ahold of the pistol.

Please reconsider your belief that the pistol is out of reach. Nothing will relieve the pain of losing a child in that manner. Get an alarm system if you need time to retrieve a handgun from a safe, or to load one; when your children are older they can be taught gun safety, but it's a rare 4 year old that understands the concept and permanence of death.

·
Premium Member
9,375 Posts
I like it. Especially as a night-time option. Daytime, your pistol should be on you. :)

Regards,
Greyson

·
Premium Member
20,427 Posts
A four-year-old can get anywhere. I've been through two of them. Probably even figure out the retention device.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
My oldest daughter and my son would never have touched a set up like that.... My younger daughter though would have had it down the first chance she got. A bed side safe is about $120 and much cheaper if you catch a sale. That would sure seem cheap if something bad happened.....

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
I was 5 years old when I got hold of a snubbie .38 @ a family friends house in the early 70's. My friend and I wondered into his parents bedroom while they chatted of glory days, the gun was in a dresser drawer hidden.....I picked it up and held it above my head covering my ears with my biceps then pulled the trigger!! BANG!! The terror on my friends face said enough for me to put it down and a big commotion insued. I remember my eyes were burning alot, luckily the gun only had tear gas rnds in it (similar to mace) because we were in an apt. building 2cnd flr.

My point to the story is bad things happen and we as responsible gunowners must do our part to avoid our loaded weapons falling into the wrong hands period. All the crying, praying and asking forgiveness cannot undo a tragedy that could've been avoided.

Buy a small touch safe (there about $70.00 to$90.00) and mount it to the floor and be done with it. The added plus of the touch safe is you can buy an additional floor mount that you can mount in your vehicle trunk (just incase you have to secure your weapon while going into an off limits place).

www.DACTEC.com This place sells them but other are available with similar features.

Look on E-BAY, they've got a bunch there for around $50.00 and shipping! Just an idea....

·
Banned
462 Posts
I like the setup for me, but I'd mount it a little higher.

But...my kids are grown and gone. When they were home the guns were under lock and key. Even if your kids are gun savvy like mine were, their little friends likely are not.

I still lock up the guns when the Grands come over...

VR,
Harold

·
Premium Member
9,656 Posts
I was three when I climbed on top of the fridge and on to the top shelf of my parents closet. I get that it will be concealed by the door, but a curious child will find that gun and get it out of the holster. I keep mine in a gunvault and I don't even have kids.

Just a thought.

Robert

·
Registered
15,656 Posts
Not secure enough for kids. Going beyond how much it costs or can they get to it, tonight when you're laying in bed going to sleep think about what could happen if they do.

·
Premium Member
5,401 Posts
Not secure enough for kids. Going beyond how much it costs or can they get to it, tonight when you're laying in bed going to sleep think about what could happen if they do.
Well at least in Virginia you would be thinking about that from your jail cell. Kids can find a way to get just about anything if they want it bad enough!!! I know, I was a kid way back when!!!!:biglaugh:

·
Registered
872 Posts
In addition to the concerns everyone else had about your children, I don't really understand the logic of concealing a gun that's that visible. I tend to think that guns should either be completely concealed, or out in the open where access is faster. I'm also a little nervous about relying on that holster in an upside down configuration. In an emergency, when your palms are sweaty, you're in a huge hurry, possibly off balance, do you really want to run the risk of dropping a loaded gun over your head? If the trouble is already in the room, do you really want to expose yourself completely while reaching up for your gun?

Personally, I favor a horizontally mounted holster (or gun magnet - makes it easier if you change guns) at shoulder height when kids aren't a concern or a locked wall/under the bed/drawer quick access safe if they are.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I would lock that puppy up in a safe and put the key on a chain around my neck.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts