1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
RIA offers a high-cap 45 in government length only. If I was to get a Caspian slide in a commander length, and complete the slide build, could it be used on that high-cap government frame or are they incompatible? If they are incompatible, please tell me why.

After nearly 40 years of shooting 1911s I figure it's about time to learn how to build one...one task/skill at a time.

In advance, I'd like to thank you for your guidance.

MyTIme

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
The 2 differences are the dust cover is longer , easy fix. The other is the recoil spring guide rod seat is about .110 longer than it needs to be for a commander slide, and the rails are longer also, easy fix by someone with the right tooling.

So yes you could buy that rock frame and with a little machining make it function correctly with a commander slide.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So if I had the frame altered, is the full size original slide a NO GO then?

The VIS...the rails?

Dust cover...how much too long?

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Better to buy a Caspian slide in Government length, mill off 3/4th of an inch and fit a bull bbl.

Now you got 2 top ends that will work, instead of one.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For my first build I may be getting over my head with this idea. I sounds like this would be better suited to an experienced person.

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
So if I had the frame altered, is the full size original slide a NO GO then?

The VIS...the rails?

Dust cover...how much too long?
You did not say you wanted to switch back and forth between the 2 slide lengths , if this is the case then do what Puddi suggests .

and yes it may be a bit over your pay grade ;)

·
Premium Member
7,037 Posts
"Better to buy a Caspian slide in Government length, mill off 3/4th of an inch and fit a bull bbl."

This would necessitate use of officers length recoil springs.
No thanks!

" and the other is the VIS , vertical impact surface, is about .110 longer than it needs to be for a commander slide"

Nope, not the VIS.
The recoil spring guide seat.

·
Registered
60 Posts
It still works I have had two of them. Colt slide on Caspian gubmint frame, shorten dust cover 1/4" and call it good.

Colt slide on Auto Ordnance frame, shorten dust cover, might need an extended ejector but gun cycles dummies just fine. Haven't shot it yet but don't expect any surprises.

Commander upper on Government lower the breech face of the slide still comes about .100" back behind the disconnector.

If you don't cut the dust cover you can still swap uppers easily enough. It just makes for one ugly Commander.

·
Registered
164 Posts
My Colt Combat Commander slide, barrel, bushing, and FLGR works perfectly on a full size 1911 frame. I didn't shorted the dust cover or shorted the rails. It might be an ugly piece to some but the way it shoots is admirable. Have to learn to post pics.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, pics would be great. I started this post to learn so if you have the time to post pics so I can better see what you are talking about, I'll definitely look at them.

·
Banned
5,052 Posts
Some government frames will work with a commander slide without altering the frame.

The slide short-strokes since it isn't moving as far to the rear as it normally would on a commander, but some guns are okay with this. Since yours is a double-stack, it benefits from a longer rearward stroke because it takes a lot of force for the magazine spring to push up all those heavy rounds, and the rounds must be pushed up and in place when the slide engages the round during its forward movement. But it might still work, so one option is to try it without moving back the rails on the frame to see if it works. If it does, you're good.

Here is a pic of a single stack 38 Super with a commander slide on a government frame: http://38super.net/Images/Caspian 38 Super 1.jpg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts