1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, my Dad and I each have a 1911. He has the Springfield 1911A1 Mil-Spec, and since he got it he has put on Hogue grips, a stainless steel full length guide rod, and a stainless slide stop. I have a Taurus PT1911 Duotone and mine is brand new no additions, but stock it has extended beavertail, full length guide rod, ambidextrous safety, and Heinie sights. Which is better? Zak.

Dad's Gun-
http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?model=7

My Gun-
http://www.taurususa.com/product-details.cfm?id=608&category=Pistol&toggle=tp&breadcrumbseries=19

·
Registered
27 Posts
taurus all the way, they are both made out of the country and are made in brazil. There are only a few complains about taurus, the safety and all that, but you usually replace something like that with one that you are at home with. I replaced mine with a wilson. Great gun for the money

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
This thread will implode in 10, 9...
You only have 13 posts and already know enough to make an accurate prediction. You're a quick learner! :biglaugh:

I would say your dad has the better gun. That's just my humble opinion. You like yours he likes his, why does it matter?

Nate

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
If I had to buy one or the other, it might be a hard choice. I just about need a beavertail. I owned a Mil-Spec and it would chew a hole in the web of my hand. I never felt it bite, but after 1-2 hundred rounds, it was obvious. Generally, I prefer SA though.

To heck with a full length guide rod though. Give me the old GI guide rod.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Dad's gun is MUCH nicer looking IMHO!!!!

RWW

·
Registered
651 Posts
I've never owned any of either maker's pistols but I've shot and handled both and I'd take the Springfield any day over the Taurus. Springfield would not be my first choice in a 1911 but if feels like a more "quality" weapon when compared to the Taurus.

That is just my opinion - if your happy with your gun, my opinion really doasn't mean a thing.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
As the owner of 98 1911 platforms, and a shooter of said platform for 39 years, plus an owner of several of each, I'd have to say on a 10 point scale I'd give the Springfield a 9.5 to Taurus 8.

Why? Both have excellent customer service, but, Springfield puts out a better quality controlled product, and it comes from a maker of forged frames and slides, Imbel, with decades of experience using Colt manufactured machines.

On my first purchase of a Taurus blued 1911 steel frame, the frame cracked after 3800 rounds, standard loads. Now, Taurus fixed the problem by sending me a brand new stainless model, which to this day functions flawlessly, but I've inspected many Taurus's and noticed that they do have fluctuations of quality control, where's Springfields QC is consistant.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy and use a Taurus 1911 for range use and everyday plinking, but I won't use it in my carry rotation nor competitions.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies. Yeah, it honestly doesnt matter because I do like my gun and he likes his gun, to each their own on style and accessory parts, I was just curious. We give each other a hard time about whose is better on all the guns we own. Just like I bought a Russian M44 rifle about 6 months ago, and when he got one he bragged that his was better because it had been refurbished at the arsenal, and mine was an unrefurbished with typical wear. Lol, we just do it to mess with each other. Zak.

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
As the owner of 98 1911 platforms, and a shooter of said platform for 39 years, plus an owner of several of each, I'd have to say on a 10 point scale I'd give the Springfield a 9.5 to Taurus 8. Why? Both have excellent customer service, but, Springfield puts out a better quality controlled product, and it comes from a maker of forged frames and slides, Imbel, with decades of experience using Colt manufactured machines. On my first purchase of a Taurus blued 1911 steel frame, the frame cracked after 3800 rounds, standard loads. Now, Taurus fixed the problem by sending me a brand new stainless model, which to this day functions flawlessly, but I've inspected many Taurus's and noticed that they do have fluctuations of quality control, where's Springfields QC is consistant. I wouldn't hesitate to buy and use a Taurus 1911 for range use and everyday plinking, but I won't use it in my carry rotation nor competitions.
I would tend to agree. Springer by a hair for me as well. I owned both and shot a number of others at the range. My first Taurus came in with a bad barrel crown. I did not send it back as I had a extrac barrel at hand that dropped in and ran extremely well.

My Springers could be modded easily while the Taurus had some aspects that were "taurus only", although the gun as it came was pretty much set to run without the need to mod up anything.

Both makers guns were good shooters so no issue there, although I did pop a custom fitted barrel bushing into both of my Springer Mil Specs that really snapped up the accuracy. Both makers held up very well overall so no issues there.

Have a good day.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I do want to replace several parts on mine...beavertail, stide stop, guide rod, magazine release, etc...with the Wilson Combat stainless steel parts. Zak.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Id say they are more or less equal, I just like the SA because its sorta made in America and is an American Company

·
Banned
863 Posts
Usually the phrase "an apple don't fall far from the tree" is fitting but not in this case. Your Dad is definitely the wiser of you two. Was you adopted ? JK :biglaugh:
If you both like whatever guns you have then why would you worry about asking others opinion on YOUR gun.... unless you have some subconscious regret about buying the Taurus and hoping for "justification" :)

Edited to add that I didn't get a chance to view your gun on Taurus's web site due to a malfunction

1 - 20 of 27 Posts