1911Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just for kicks I fired at some jugs about 50yds away. Hit the damn things too! Wondering if it will have enough energy to take out a coyote at that yardage. Thinking about carrying the .45 while I stalk yotes this year. Any comments?

·
Registered
731 Posts
While a .45 would probably do the job at 50 yards, why not use a rifle to make sure your first shot is a clean kill?

Billy Ray

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Originally posted by Billy Ray:
While a .45 would probably do the job at 50 yards, why not use a rifle to make sure your first shot is a clean kill?

Billy Ray
I agree with Billy. I believe in trying to make the kill as quickly and cleanly as possible.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Gotta go with Billy Ray on this one, too.
.45 at 50 yds, and one-shot stop, is pretty iffy, unless you place your bullet exactly - can you?

·
Registered
900 Posts
...took a grey fox a few years back at about 30 yards in the dark with a 45ACP. Darned thing staked a claim one of two deer I had shot at sundown. Fired two warning shots at it, not 6 inches from the top of his noggin-he curled his lip at me, so I center punched his head, between and just above his eyes. Looked like Marty Feldman. I don't think another 20 yards is going to make a huge difference if you have a steady hand or a good rest and like the other guys say, can consistantly at that distance. Just for practice, get some large grape fruit (4-5" dia.) and set them out at various ranges. The farthest distance I can consistantly hit is where I draw the line for me.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I think 50yds would be the limit that I would try, but the clean kill is important too. I think the 45 has the punch to get the job done at that range if you use the right ammo.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hunt with an AR and a .22-250. Stalk up on the yotes while bedded down. Last year I was getting with 80-100 yds easily. Had to yell at them to get them to stand up for a better shot, so I know I can get in closer while silent. We'll give it a go.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by ferretray:
What does this have to do with Tactics and personnel defense/ccw ?
Tactics "and" personal defense/ccw. Were talking hunting tactics. Is there a restriction on what type of tactics discussed, or are you trying to be a "Mini moderator". Either way, if this discussion does not apply to you, then I am sure there are many in this forum that do.

·
Registered
5,708 Posts
Gargoyle, when you become a moderator I will consider your input. In closing I'll say that I have no use for the shooting(this is not "hunting") animals with under-powered weapons. We owe it to our prey to take them as quickly and cleanly as possible. Semper Fi, Ray Rinehart

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ferretray,
Carefull, Ferretray, your participating in a hunting tactics thread! (regardless of how demented your views on hunting are)
"We owe it to our prey"? Somehow bridging a gap between the worth of an animal and a human?
I don't owe a coyote anything but a death for killing my cats and cattle.

Semper Fidelis back.

·
Registered
5,708 Posts
Gargoyle, I don't believe my statement can be construed as reflecting a "demented"(mad, insane) point of view. Nowhere did I make a comparison of "worth" of a human/animal. What I was referring to is called ethical hunting. A coyote does what it's instincts tell it to do, they are not "evil". I have taken game and have had to put down domestic animals. I would derive no pleasure from inflicting unnecessary agony on these creatures.JMHO, Ray Rinehart

·
Registered
332 Posts
i've never done any of this, but i'm wondering: what do you do with these animals once you kill them? just leave 'em out for the buzzards, or bury them, or skin 'em and mount 'em? just curious. (btw, i have no opinion on the the subject)

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Buzzards.

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
Sorry guys but this forum is dedicated to training and tactics for two legged varmints so I'm going to close this and move it to general discussion.

David Blinder

[This message has been edited by blinder (edited 07-23-2001).]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.