1911Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to some positive comments on here and falling in love with it at the local gun shop, I bought a 1911 DK yesterday. I'm primarily a revolver guy and am a self admitted 1911 newbie. It went to the range today and I put a 100 rounds of 230 grain American Eagle through it without a hitch. The pistol seemed very accurate. When I got it home I stripped the upper to clean. When it came time to go back together, I had problems depressing the grip safety connector bar (maybe the wrong part name) flush enough to get the slide over it. I ended up having to use a piece of brass to push agaist it to get the last .030", flexing the part like a spring. Is this piece supposed to be flush or or have a radius on it? Apart from being inconvenient, is this a problem?

Thanks, Clint

·
Registered
7 Posts
Clint

Nic epurchase I got mine about 2 months ago and am very happy with it. I haven't had the problem that you are having. My DK needs cleaning, I'll check it out and get back to you. It might be a couple of days.

Dan

·
Premium Member
6,779 Posts
I am afraid that you may have done some damage to your gun. There is no way that you should have had to press the lever hard enough to deform it.
That thing should be loose to the touch.

I can't tell you what it is, but you should have someone knowledgeable take a good look at the gun.

Bob

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
clarification

The lever has not been distorted. This is the way it came. It just sticks up about .030" when it is in the lower position. You need to push it down pretty hard so you can get it flush enough so the rear edge of the slide will clear it to re-install.

Clint

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Solution?

I called customer support today and the guy said this is normal. He said to just push it down with a flat bladed screw driver when reinstalling the slide. He said some are higher than others and I must have gotten a high one. They are more conserned with having positive engagement of the safety lever than a nice flush fit?

Clint

·
Registered
736 Posts
w1lp said:
He said to just push it down with a flat bladed screw driver when reinstalling the slide. Clint
Guess I was under the impression that it *wouldn't* go down all the way and you were having to bend it in order to the slide over it. If it does indeed go down all the way with help -- and without being bent -- sounds like you're okay then (at least in S&W's eyes). Good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The safety lever is made of spring steel so you had to push pretty hard to get it to flex. The guy at S & W also said it would be OK to file / stone a very slight radius on the forward end to make it easier to get it started. I took the sharp edge off and this made a world of difference. I'm calling it solved. Now to get back to putting some more rounds through it.

Thanks again, Clint

·
Registered
48 Posts
I had some less vital problems with my stainless 1911 and S&W customer service authorized a return for repair without any questions asked, other than the serial number, my name, and contact info. They even sent me a prepaid FedEx shipping label. I'd give them a call and let the pros look it over instead of trying to fix it yerself. I think that once you get it fixed, you'll love it just as much as I love mine. Good luck!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.