1911Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

Info:
Custom 1911 frame/slide/barrel from Heavy Armor Division, Government .45ACP.
Using 16lb recoil spring, 23lb mainspring.
Had minor hiccups in the beginning due to extractor. Then I fixed that issue, and it's ran 500 or so rounds without any hiccups.
Took it to the range today, and it could barely get through 100 rounds without having this exact issue illustrated below:
Air gun Trigger Shotgun Gun barrel Gun accessory

I think this is a double feed? Again, It's ran 500 or so rounds without issues and only today I had this problem, using several mags, both mecgar and wilson mags. Same ammo as I've always used before that did not have problems.

Thanks for the help!

·
Premium Member
12,548 Posts
agreed, but its the only way I can shoot a lot without paying a lot, I've used this exact steel ammo many times before with no issues.
It has clearly caught up with you!
10 bucks says without cleaning or doing anything to the weapon or mags, that brass FMJ will function perfectly right away. One slight manufacturing difference with that cheap steel could make a difference.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
I had this issue with my Gold Cup a few years ago. For over a decade and a half, the gun was absolutely reliable, but then all of sudden I started having these issues. At first I thought the mag feed lips had widen up a bit, but I had issues with mags using the parallel, wad cutter lips as well, just not as bad. Could never figure out what was causing the problem so I ultimately sent it into Colt for review offering to pay for repairs. The gun came back "fixed" and the inertia feeds were gone. As far a I can tell, they replaced the extractor and refreshed the plunger tube spring, but not sure what else they did. I was not charged for anything.

I have to say, Colt customer service has done real well for me over the years. They've fixed or upgraded parts for my guns at no cost for anything. Not sure what they're like today as I'm sure many folks have come and gone.

Revolver Trigger Air gun Everyday carry Shotgun

·
Premium Member
12,548 Posts
Yeah, but you had a “gun” issue whilst using brass.
In the case of feeding or extraction issues, I would point to steel cased junk first if that was what you were using. Someone here once said that they can’t believe that folks can manage to afford an expensive firearm, only to turn around and put the worst junk ammo through it. My mindset is the same. Steel and aluminum is low price point ammo. The powder is filthy and the projectiles are bargain. That’s no fun, unless you like shooting paint cans from 10 feet.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So I took it to the range again, after wiping down my mags making sure they were dry. I used a 17lb recoil spring instead now of the 16lb. Shot 200 rounds through it with the same Russian steel ammo: 0 failures.
Thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts