1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What parts are most likely to break or wear-out on the Colt Series 80 Combat Commander and Series 80 Government Model?

I replace the Shock-Buffs every 500 rounds, and the recoil spring and firing pin spring every 1,500 rounds. No other parts have needed replacing.

Am I missing anything?

What other parts should I keep on hand?

Are any special tools required?

-Mk.IV

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
The firing pin stop is usually one of the first parts to break or wear out - suggest you have a fitted spare one on hand. I also keep a tested slide stop, firing pin, firing pin spring, recoil spring and fitted and tuned extractor as spare in my range bag.

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
Shane's kit sounds good to me. My problem is I have enough parts to do a complete rebuild (excluding the frame).

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
Molon Labe

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,011 Posts
The only 1911 part I've ever broken is the mag release catch, so I keep three of those in my range bag. A recoil spring plug might be a good idea - I know two or three guys who have sent those over the berm while doing a little mid-match maintenance.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Originally posted by RickB:
A recoil spring plug might be a good idea - I know two or three guys who have sent those over the berm while doing a little mid-match maintenance.
Oh yeah!!! I'm one of those guys, and forgot to mention that I have a spare plug in my range bag as well.

·
Registered
27,705 Posts
I broke an extractor during a COF at the Single Stack Classic this year. A friend I was with happened to have one and we replaced it but I had to take zero's on this 3 stage course. Too bad to because I was ready to settle Leathem's hash for him

Kidding Rob, I think I beat around 20 people.

I had fired about 1000 rds in the 2 weeks previous to this without any problems.

------------------
"What most of these people need is a good slap upside the head. What I don't need is any more lawsuits." John "The Tooz" Matusak

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, for the quick replies.

Shane, I see how the extactor would need to be fitted and tuned, but does the firing pin stop need to be fitted?

My firing pin stops are not tight, they slide right out with no problem after pushing the firing pin lock plunger up and the firing pin inward.

I have heard of some guns with very tight firing pin stops, but couldn't I just drop-in a stock Colt F.P. stop?

Also, is there a replacement schedule for any of the other springs?

Thanks for all the good information.

-Mk.IV

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Hi Mark,

You are correct that you could simply drop in a stock firing pin stop. I simply prefer aftermarket, and most need some fitting in order to seat into the slide. Keep in mind that you do not want your stop to be loose in the slide however. A tight stop keeps your extractor tight and square in the slide, for better extraction and reliability. I have also seen severely loose stops that actually will drop out of the slide during cycling.

As for springs, a rough guideline is every 2000 rds. for the recoil spring, every 5000 rds. for the firing pin spring. I also change my mag springs once a year as well.

·
Registered
555 Posts
My shooting bag has the following extra parts:

1. Recoil spring
2. shok-buff
3. firing pin stop
4. firing pin and spring
5. slide stop
6. guide rod (especially if you're using a tungsten guide rod which can easily break)
7. guide rod plug (I had one fly off in the grass--never to be found again--when making emergency repairs)
8. extractor
9. sear spring
10. squib rod

My tools are:

11. punch to get out mainspring housing pin
12. bushing wrench
13. a few allen wrenches
14. small screwdriver

Other things:

16. lube
17. bore snake for quick and dirty cleaning

I like to have eveything I need on hand to fully disassemble, reassemble and clean my gun.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone, for your recommendations.

I will now go over to the Brownell's website where I'll spec-out my own 1911 "Emergency Repair Kit"

-Mk.IV

·
Registered
66 Posts
I've owned two 1911's in .45 caliber. I've shot both for many years shooting many thousands of rounds over the years while competing in IPSC. The only two parts I've actually have break as opposed to wearing out has been the extractor (broken hook) and one leg of a collet barrel bushing. I don't think my experience is unusual as many of the friends I shoot with seldom have 1911 parts break.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Everything from the other posts but also....

a stock/grip screw they can vibrate lose and fall out and you dont want to continue shooting a 1911 with piviting grips.

------------------
Cheers Ty
www.CoolGunSite.com

1 - 13 of 13 Posts