1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a PT 1911 stainless Taurus that the extractor tip broke after about 850 rounds of shooting with no issues. I contacted Taurus, excellent service. They would not send me another extractor, but comped my shipping costs and are currently fixing the gun. Question for you guys? Do you know if Taurus is replacing extractors with better parts? Is this a known Taurus MIM issue? Anybody have this happen twice? Finally, if I decide to put in an aftermarket extractor for better reliability, any suggestions for the best fit with a Taurus? I've seen lots of old posts on line about series 70 and 80 extractors and shims, etc. But nothing recent. I couldn't get any good feedback from any manufacturers that I contacted. If they return any comment at all, its "It should work"
Thanks for any help.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

No, Taurus will not replace the extractor with a "better" part.

The issue is not exclusive to Taurus. It's a MIM part - knock yourself out searching this forum for posts concerning it. Any barstock extractor (Wilson, Brown, Baer, etc.) will work in your gun with a bit of fitting and adjustment.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Adjusting the Extractor

If you decide to install a new extractor, you can save yourself a lot of grief and time by getting the EXTRACTOR TENSION GAUGE SET from Brownell's.

Don't ask how I know this to be true.:scratch:

·
Premium Member
14,640 Posts
MIM extractor? I don't believe so. Cast most probably. Tip breakage would be most common when the tip jams the case bevel, and from inertia fed cartridges. Eliminate them and a cast extractor will last a long time. No doubt machined from bar stock is the best.

LOG

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
"keep in mind that most pistols never see 850 rounds their entire life."

You must have a lot more guns than I do, if you don't put that many rounds through them. The only thing I own with less than 850 rounds through it is an LCP I bought earlier this year. It's got over 400 rounds through it - would have more if .380 acp was easier to find.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Search the old threads. There is a lot of dicussion. The usual problem is that other extractors will not retain the dumbell plunger of the 80 series safety. It will just fall out the bottom if you are lucky or get stuck and hurt something if your not. The taurus dumbell plunger is not the same size as other companies. It's smaller. Sometimes other extractors will retain it and work fine. If not you can do the series 80 delete and then use any extractor. I guess if you are skilled with a welder you can build up the ledge on the extractor and get one to work. I did the series 80 delete on my Taurus and never looked back.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts