1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm shopping for another 1911, 5" or 4.25", I'm tempted to get a series 70 Colt because I don't have an old school one yet. Is it worth it? Chime in with your recommendations.

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,216 Posts
If you're wanting old school it would be a good pick up. If you want a few more options get the Wiley Clapp.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
If you want old school I don't think you could do better and if you change your mind later you will have a great base gun for a build. Can't go wrong.

·
Administrator
72,979 Posts
I'm shopping for another 1911, 5" or 4.25", I'm tempted to get a series 70 Colt because I don't have an old school one yet. Is it worth it? Chime in with your recommendations.

Thanks!
I assume you checked out the comparison thread I did between the Colt S70 and new CZ 1911A1? Either pistol would be my choice for a sub-$1000 "old school" 1911. Actually, they are my choice. :scratch:

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
On what Raylan said....I love the Clapp guns. I have 2 government models that were used for custom builds. My favorite colt....and with the price drop lately it's not far from your budget.

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
I saw a slightly used 'shooter' grade big-letter Colt Mk.IV Ser.70 , no box , for $750 at a gun show last weekend. Showed some honest carry wear , but no damage.

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
You should be able to find a Series 70 Mk IV Colt Government Model or a Pre-Series 70 Colt Combat Commander in very good condition for $1K or less. I have two Series 70 MK IV Government Models, both blue, one in .45 the other .38 Super; three Combat Commanders (two blue, one satin nickel) all in .45; and one .38 Super Combat Commander Lightweight. The most paid was $1K each for the MK IVs which were both like NIB with the box and paperwork; the least paid was $650 for one of the Combat Commanders.

Just so there isn't a heated debate, I refer to the Combat Commanders made by Colt that although their S/N has a 70 prefix they aren't considered to be Series 70 guns because they lack the collet bushing that is a Series 70 mainstay.

·
Registered
284 Posts
You should be able to find a Series 70 Mk IV Colt Government Model or a Pre-Series 70 Colt Combat Commander in very good condition for $1K or less. I have two Series 70 MK IV Government Models, both blue, one in .45 the other .38 Super; three Combat Commanders (two blue, one satin nickel) all in .45; and one .38 Super Combat Commander Lightweight. The most paid was $1K each for the MK IVs which were both like NIB with the box and paperwork; the least paid was $650 for one of the Combat Commanders.

Just so there isn't a heated debate, I refer to the Combat Commanders made by Colt that although their S/N has a 70 prefix they aren't considered to be Series 70 guns because they lack the collet bushing that is a Series 70 mainstay.
I'm going to disagree with this recommendation based on personal experience. I have an original Series 70 made in 1975. It's beautiful, with the big roll marks and polished flats, but it's been my most problematic 1911. Trigger was terrible, both thumb and grip safeties have needed adjustment, and sights were the old GI style. I bought a new production Colt a few months ago, and it has been great right out of the box. New ones are well within $1000, so that's how I would go if I were you.

·
Administrator
72,979 Posts
The quality of the original Series 70 Government Models made from 1970-1983 was often erratic. Some were put together very well and some weren't. The ones currently being made are much more consistent and don't have the obvious cosmetic flaws the originals were known for, like misshapen trigger guards and deep tooling marks inside the slide recesses.

·
Premium Member
20,345 Posts
While I had a ton of troubles from my early Series 70 repro, I do believe they have those issues worked out and is your best buy if you want a heritage kind of gun. I used mine for a custom build and it is my favorite. If you want old school and some name recognition, along with an affordable price, that's the one I'd go for. Stay away from the imports. The Colt only costs a little bit more and will hold it's value.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts