1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to change the front sight on my DW PM7. I would like to replace it with a white dot type sight.
1. Are there any special tools required for the job.
2. Should I take it to a gunsmith to do this.
3. What would be a good sight choice.

I saw a reasonable priced one from Novak, any input?

·
Registered
668 Posts
Yes, it's working. Mess with the front sight yourself and it'll always be a problem in my experience (been there, done that). I suggest using a 'smith who will silver solder or dovetail in a new one.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Have your Smith cut a dovetail in, can't tell you how many front staked sights I have shot off.
Chief-7700

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
x2. Saving a couple of bucks is nice, and the satisfaction of doing something yourself can't be beat. But, if you screw it up, it'll cost you way more than what you saved to begin with. JMHO.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,344 Posts
Already dovetailed? I'd suggest a Dawson .1"-wide fiber optic sight.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I did a lot of shooting with iron sights (IPSC competition) and lost a lot of front sights. Even silver soldering wouldn't last more than about 50,000 rounds in the pre Series 80 (narrow tenon) front sights. I gave up and bought my own front sight staking tool ($100 then, over $200 now). Trying to install a front sight without this tool is possible, but risky.

Now the dovetail mod is common place. This is definitely the way to go. The mod costs about $60 and from that point on, you can change your own front sight.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts