1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used the King's Hardball sights (I'm thinking of going with the 3 dot) on their GI model? Did you need a drift punch? Did you need to somehow adjust the sights after they were on or is it a straight swap? I'm loving my GI but it's time for some different sights. Thanks!

·
Banned
7,485 Posts
I think you're better served with a MilSpec or Loaded than fitting sights to the GI model.

GI model is a nostalgia pistol. At least that's why I bought one. Modifying it kills its only unique feature. The other pistols have the lowered ejection port too.

-- Chuck

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I have a much differing opinion on the G.I. Mil-Spec, to me, it is this generation's Colt 70 Series Government Model, a bare-bones 1911 that is a virtual blank-slate for customization. Remember to get the Medium Tenon version for your Springfield. A wide tenon version can work in a pinch but a gunsmith would have to trim the tenon down for you. They will be far superior to the vestigal sights you are using now, but that rear King's sight will have some very sharp edges on it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Largo said:
I have a much differing opinion on the G.I. Mil-Spec, to me, it is this generation's Colt 70 Series Government Model, a bare-bones 1911 that is a virtual blank-slate for customization. Remember to get the Medium Tenon version for your Springfield. A wide tenon version can work in a pinch but a gunsmith would have to trim the tenon down for you. They will be far superior to the vestigal sights you are using now, but that rear King's sight will have some very sharp edges on it.
I agree, I'm a shooter not a collector/re-enactor or military buff. I really want to know if they're a simple swap or if there's other work I'll need to do. Thanks!

·
Registered
21,917 Posts
I have Kings Hardball sights on one gun, National Match fixed on another. The rear fits the standard dovetail and can be installed with vise, drift, and hammer. The front is staked in (They do sell SA's odd tenon.) and calls for some tools and technique. I just took mine to my FLG (Friendly Local Gunsmith.)

Zero: Drift the rear in its dovetail for windage correction. If you buy the three-dot, you are pretty well stuck with the height and therefore the elevation, right or wrong. Best to buy the plain black, file if necessary to zero for your range, ammo, hand, and eye, then dimple and paint for the dots. I got lucky, my National Match on a 1991A1 Colt 9mm is close on with a Hi-Viz fibre optic front. My Hardball set on a Combat Commander .45 took some filing to set elevation. I painted the front and left the rear black.

·
Banned
7,485 Posts
My point exactly! You can put libstick on a pig, but it's still a pig.

Why get a USGI unless you want a nostalgia pistol. Adding sights to it (there's a rumor the USGI has sights, but they're near impossible to find) still leaves you with all the other "GI" stuff that makes these great for reenactors or nostalgia buffs -- but which make shooting the pistol harder than it should be. Street price is $420.

The MilSpec has sights (or at least dots in them) and the lowered and flared ejection port. Street price $500. You'll not get this work done for the additional $80.

Loaded model has more bells and whistles than I want, but has nice Tritium sights ($100+ by themselves) and a more comfortable grip and thumb safety than the two above. Street price is $650.

Photos by Springfield Armory.

-- Chuck

·
Banned
1,473 Posts
Loaded model has more bells and whistles than I want, but has nice Tritium sights ($100+ by themselves) and a more comfortable grip and thumb safety than the two above. Street price is $650.
You're low on the street price.

I sold my Loaded model BECAUSE of the Novaks, among other reasons.

The more I know, the less I like most bells and all whistles.

Fishing lures aren't built to catch fish, they're built to catch fishermen.

The Loaded model is a fishing lure.

A good move for Springfield, a bad move for shooters.

·
Administrator
73,411 Posts
Replacing the factory front sight on a 1911 isn't something for the budding home gunsmith. You need a tenon staking tool and a hammer, plus a special jig to hold the front sight and slide in place. The art of staking is a bit tricky as well, especially if you miss with the hammer and put a nice little noogie on your slide. After the tenon has been carefully swaged in place you then need to use a Dremel tool to grind the excess metal down so that the barrel bushing will fit into the slide again.

In other words, if you really want to learn how to do it yourself, get Jerry Kuhnhausen's shop manual (Volume 1). However unless you are planning to replace sights on a lot of pistols I recommend letting a gunsmith do it this time around.

·
Banned
1,663 Posts

Attachments

·
Banned
7,485 Posts
It's easier to remove the fluff items from the Loaded than add them to the USGI. For me anyway.

I still recommend the Loaded model to anyone who will listen :cool: for first time M1911 buyers. Has the "most popular" accessories on it already. I also recommend everyone spend $500 for the ammunition and instruction you get in a good 3-day basic "tactical" or "defensive" pistol course from a Gunsite trained instructor. Fluff falls by the wayside fast in these courses.

Good night sights are a literal requirement for a pistol to be used as a weapon. I prefer two dot but can still shoot 3 dot. Dot over post or dot over bar creates no confusion as to which is the front sight.

Add $20 shipping and $15 FFL fee to the "street prices" I listed. If you're paying more you need to learn how to use Google on the web. :biglaugh: Take $100 off each for "like new."

-- Chuck

·
Registered
879 Posts
Geez guys, all punkkin wants to do is replace the sights on his GI, why all the "go buy a milspec" talk? :rolleyes: Its his gun, let him be. Offer advice to the question at hand.

I think he'll be "better served" when he gets HIS pistol built like HE wants it. Its HIS money, HIS gun, HIS decision.

I think the GI is an excellent gun as it is. I also think it is an excellent platform for modification. Some of you must forget that a gun isn't just for shooting. Some actually like it so they can modify and "make" it their own. That's part of the fun.

We have a GI. I can shoot with the stock sights, I don't mind upgrading to Novaks like on my pistols, but I don't mind keeping them as they are. My husband can also shoot well with those stock sights. But he wants upgrades. It is his pistol, if he wants new sights, we'll get it new sights.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Shorts said:
Geez guys, all punkkin wants to do is replace the sights on his GI, why all the "go buy a milspec" talk? :rolleyes: Its his gun, let him be. Offer advice to the question at hand.

I think he'll be "better served" when he gets HIS pistol built like HE wants it. Its HIS money, HIS gun, HIS decision.

I think the GI is an excellent gun as it is. I also think it is an excellent platform for modification. Some of you must forget that a gun isn't just for shooting. Some actually like it so they can modify and "make" it their own. That's part of the fun.

We have a GI. I can shoot with the stock sights, I don't mind upgrading to Novaks like on my pistols, but I don't mind keeping them as they are. My husband can also shoot well with those stock sights. But he wants upgrades. It is his pistol, if he wants new sights, we'll get it new sights.
Thanks for being a voice of reason! I really enjoy my GI, I've never had any problems or concerns but I do want to change out the sights, that's all. I had no issues with the sights until i went to the indoor range. Shooting outside in the sun they we fine.

·
Registered
130 Posts
FWIW, I took my LW GI 4" and dumped the pimples for plain jane working sights. I used Yost's retro rear sight and had the SA Custom shop dovetail me a slot for the correct height front sight with the Trijicon dot.

Where else can you buy a Series 70 with a LW frame for this type of dough?

It's a sleeper.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts