1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Next week I'll get more info about 1911 Gold Cup National Match 38 Special that could be quite cheap. Since such gun has little value in my area, and I personally don't need it, what has to be done to convert it in something like 45 ACP, 40 S&W, 357 SIG, or even 9x23. A friend has National Match 45ACP barrel and bushing, can I use them for conversion? Another proposal for 1911A1 Springfield: could National Match 45ACP barrel and bushing be installed and can I expect significant improvement in accuracy? Thanks, Onty.

·
Registered
21,982 Posts
The .38 Special Gold Cup is blowback operated! Why Colt did not simply do a factory version of the popular and sucessful Clark conversion, I'll never know or understand. Conversion to another caliber will therefore require a complete new upper, including barrel, bushing, slide, extractor, ejector, firing pin with spring and stop, and recoil spring assembly.

The big change will be removal of the rail in the "barrel bed" of the frame which locates the .38 barrel and is not present in any other 1911 derivative. It will take milling or very careful grinding or filing to remove it and make room for a .45 barrel. Congratulations, you have now destroyed a somewhat scarce piece that is beginning to attract some collector interest. I have seen this job done.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I suspected that this modification could be iffy. Nevertheless, any advice or opinion about installing NM 45 barrel and bushing in Springfield 1911A1. Onty.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Onty, you really should sell it as it is for what it is. Seems like these ought to be worth something, had a nice one in here recently just transferring it for a guy. I'd say they're a bit scarce and therefor ought to be worth at least a new 1911 in a caliber you can use.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ned, I didn't by it yet, and after learning more about it I am not going to touch it. There is always somebody who will appreciate such fine handgun and I am thankful for advice. Take care, Onty.

------------------

1 - 5 of 5 Posts