1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a vision of aluminum or micarta grips in bright red or other wild colors. I'm not a hippy, but tie-dye would even be cool. Any ideas on who could make such things? Thanks!

·
Registered
27,694 Posts
I bought a pair of Carbon Creations grips here a while back. They are black with a buried red checker underneath. Kinda hard to explain but they are different.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I loved the Molon Labe grips but they dont play with prices :eek:

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I just checked out that site --- nice stuff. :rock:

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
BillD said:
I bought a pair of Carbon Creations grips here a while back. They are black with a buried red checker underneath. Kinda hard to explain but they are different.
Do they make the gun shoot better, Bill, or just appeal to the closeted pistol stroker insiide you? :biglaugh:

·
Registered
874 Posts
Brian Dover said:
Do they make the gun shoot better, Bill, or just appeal to the closeted pistol stroker insiide you? :biglaugh:
So you DONT play with your gun? :biglaugh:

·
Registered
27,694 Posts
Brian Dover said:
I was actually a little embarrassed about them. I put a magwell on my Kimber and had the old grips on them. They worked OK but they were tapered and didn't fit well, showing gaps at the bottom. So when a chance to pick up a pair of the correct fitting grips came up (slim grips at that!) with the type of checkering I like (none, I like smooth grips) by Carbon Creations at 1/3rd the cost of new, I really didn't care what color they were. They go on my game gun anyway, I don't carry that one much.

They didn't make me shoot any better. Maybe I should go fondle them a little, see if that helps.....lol

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Before ordering two grips for my 1911, more on what I got
later in this note, I went through the long list
of offerings and options. Hogue offers various exotic
hardwoods, as well as synthetics - In addition GH
also offers a variety of scrimshaw'd grips from
AMerican Eagle to the various branches of the military
with the unique seal of each - not my style

I have a 1911 with stainless steel frame/SLide so,
opted for Ebony w/palm swell & a set in Rosewood
Neither have checkering. What is the palm swell, you
ask ? they start normal shape at the top and taper
in the middle before flaring a bit at the bottom I like
the shape and need to go to the range. I got the
Rosewood grips for the next 1911 which will be blued
steel whatever make it is. FWIW - I think the
black (Ebony must be a synthetic ) on stainless steel
is appropriate and good looking but the eye of the holder
beauty and all that

·
Registered
129 Posts
BillD, Don't be ashamed of making you pistol a little...sexy... I also like the carbon creations as I have a blue set on my TRP. They are comfortable, provide good grip and are down right pretty to look at.:) :) .

Bottom line is since we carry concealed when we dress our pistols up we are only "pleasing" ourselves anyway right???

I'm thinking about a red pair for my stainless TLE/RL

I'm ready...go ahead and pick on me now.
Shane

·
Registered
52 Posts
RIGFIXR said:
I have a vision of aluminum or micarta grips in bright red or other wild colors. I'm not a hippy, but tie-dye would even be cool. Any ideas on who could make such things? Thanks!
EGW has made some custom main spring plugs they told me they could do a peace symbol easily but they couldnt tie-dye it:mad:

If anyone will make the hippy gun of your desires its this guy
http://www.tjscustomgunworks.com/

P.S. he dose not come with impeccable references and wants money to talk to a customer.

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
hedonistic said:
...If anyone will make the hippy gun of your desires its this guy
http://www.tjscustomgunworks.com/

P.S. he dose not come with impeccable references and wants money to talk to a customer.
I hate to hijack a thread, but, in this case, I can't resist at least this little interjection. That T.J. sure seems like a piece of work. Following your link, I perused his photo gallery. He has a strange sensibility. Also, his price list indicates he wants $325 for black Teflon "plating." And the topper - He wants $100 just to talk to you about your project when you drop it off with him!!! WOW!!! Amazing...

·
Premium Member
3,907 Posts
Seraph said:
I hate to hijack a thread, but, in this case, I can't resist at least this little interjection. That T.J. sure seems like a piece of work. Following your link, I perused his photo gallery. He has a strange sensibility. Also, his price list indicates he wants $325 for black Teflon "plating." And the topper - He wants $100 just to talk to you about your project when you drop it off with him!!! WOW!!! Amazing...
"Amazing" is one way of saying it....

·
Registered
52 Posts
hence the caveat at the end of the post. Reading some of the things in his site his attitude is not one that will get my business. For a while he was one of the gun magazines "darling pistolsmiths" now, my guess is, most of you have never heard of him. I have only heard one disparaging remark as to the quality of his work but you pay fro pretty anodizing you dont get hard anodizing.

·
Registered
881 Posts
attitude is everything

when i order someting custom......... be it a gun, knife or whatever, I like to do business with good people. most of the custom smiths ive ordered from, i now call "friend"........
having to PAY to talk to someone is ridiculous....

·
Registered
213 Posts
BillD said:
I was actually a little embarrassed about them. I put a magwell on my Kimber and had the old grips on them. They worked OK but they were tapered and didn't fit well, showing gaps at the bottom. So when a chance to pick up a pair of the correct fitting grips came up (slim grips at that!) with the type of checkering I like (none, I like smooth grips) by Carbon Creations at 1/3rd the cost of new, I really didn't care what color they were. They go on my game gun anyway, I don't carry that one much.

They didn't make me shoot any better. Maybe I should go fondle them a little, see if that helps.....lol
Glad to hear you like em! Got any pics...?

As far as this TJ guy goes...he is an interesting character. I get that gist from reading his site and the bizarre logo he's deemed his logo and creed. However, this part seems a bit strange:

"Q: What is the LEGALITY of shipping my gun to you?

A: It IS legal to ship a gun to ANYONE (* Anyone legally able to posses a firearm.), without ammo, with any "common carrier" (UPS /FEDEX). Do NOT listen to the IGNORANT misinformation you might get from UPS or a "mail center".

MY "ADVICE"... At a the "UPS Store" (used to be Mailboxes Etc.), put "Machine Parts" on the slip for contents, NOT GUNS, or GUN parts, TECHNICALLY you are NOT lying!
Ship to "TJ's Custom" rather then "TJ's Custom Gunworks" as the addressee, it will eliminate problems for YOU trying to explain to ignorant clerks that it IS legal to ship guns."

I don't want to thread-jack, a simple yes or no would be fine...but, to the custom workers out there, is that common practice?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts