1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some help here.

I clean my pistols after every range session. I clean the frame and slide and relube it. I then clean the barrel with solvent and patches.

I usually run 2000 rounds per recoil spring and 1000 rounds per shok buff. I use regular factory ammo and reloads, with a 16lb recoil spring.

How often do you to change the recoil spring? firing pin? what else needs to be changed for general maintenance? Do i need to detail clean?

I am refering to a custom colt and a valtro.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I wash my car when it needs to be cleaned, not every time I drive it. I change springs in my pistols when they feel like they need to be changed, not by round count. I clean my pistols when they need to be cleaned, not by the trip. I have one pistol that has not been cleaned in 2100 rounds (and counting), only oil added. there is a thread going on the subject in the springfield forum.

Having said that, I'm sure someone is going to tell you how horrible it is not to clean them every time they are shot. I think the correct answer is up to you.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I feel irresponsible when I don't clean my guns that have been shot regularly. Doesn't mean it has to be done, it's just my way. Even at that, sometimes my laziness gets the best of me. I agree with garymac completely on recoil springs though... I change them when I feel the pistol needs it, not by a strict maintenance schedule. They don't last forever, but IME they last longer than the 2000 rounds everyone claims they need to be changed at. The compact guns (Commander and down) really are spring eaters though, and I'm a little more strict when dealing with one of them.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I shoot a lot and I change the springs once a year. Works for me, and it's easier than keeping track of the rounds. Of course I use Wolff springs.

I also clean them when I can, which sometimes means right after getting home from the range, and sometimes means two weeks later. But, I don't like putting dirty guns away in the safe...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well i use these pistols for IPSC so i want to make sure they run perfect for the matches. So far so good. no problems at all. So i guess i will not mess with what is doing fine.

·
Premium Member
6,416 Posts
I clean them after I shoot them. My recoil spring gets changed when it is 3/4 to 1 inch shorter than a new one.

·
Registered
281 Posts
The following maintenance schedule is quoted directly from the Wilson Combat 1911 Auto Maintenance Manual by Bill Wilson.

Clean and Lube, Routine:

Lead bullet use every 300-500 rounds

Jacketed bullet use every 500-700 rounds

Carry pistols once a month

Clean and Lube, Thorough:

Every 5,000 rounds and/or every 3 months your pistol should be completely disassembled, cleaned and lubricated.

Spring Replacement:

Recoil spring every 2,000 rounds

Firing pin spring every 5,000 rounds

Hammer spring every 25,000 rounds

2 quarts Walmart lamp oil
2 quarts transmision fluid
1 gallon Walmart lacquer thinner

·
Registered
354 Posts
Keep in mind that people like Bill Wilson, when putting recommendations in writing, have to err on the conservative side to avoid liability. Image that he recommended changing the springs every 5000 rounds, and then someone's gun failed due to a spring problem, and they sued... So, he's going to be very conservative. Furthermore, since he sells the parts, he's going to recommend changing them often.

On the other hand, being conservative is a good thing. I'm a conservative :D !

1 - 8 of 8 Posts