1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a new custom trigger that works fine and has a real light pull, but thats before I put in the grip safety after I put that in it wont cock anymore anyone have an idea whats wrong with it?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Need more info...

What kind of gun? What kind of hammer? Stock grip safety or is this a replacement?

That immediately comes to mind is that you have a spur hammer with a beavertail safety that won't allow the hammer to come back far enough. Tell us more and we'll solve your ills.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you were right the hammer didnt go back far enough, (I just realized that the guy sent me the a diff hammer than pictured in the kit I bought)

(its a 1927 sistema btw)

·
Registered
302 Posts
Simple enough fix - change the hammer or change the grip safety. Of course, it's not really that simple, because changing the hammer requires matching it with the sear, trigger, and thumb safety. Changing the grip safety MIGHT require recontouring the frame.

It's your call, and there are others here that could help you in picking a new hammer and/or grip safety, but my personal choice would be to change the hammer - unless you're insistent on having a spur hammer, all the filing and stoning will be internal and will not affect the frame.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no I am just using my old trigger, I like it better anyways all I wanted was a light trigger pull and my hammer doesnt seem to affect it.

·
Registered
302 Posts
The trigger, hammer, sear, disconnector, and thumb safety are all interrelated. If you swap out any of those parts it will definitely affect the trigger pull - someimes positively, sometimes negatively.

Well, not so much the trigger but it's still part of the equation. The point is, you can't have a modern beavertail grip safety with a spur hammer. To use a modern beavertail you can bob the hammer considerably or switch to a commander-style or newer style hammer (I like the McCormick myself). To use a spur hammer you can put in a GI grip safety or one of those safeties made specifically for a spur hammer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts