1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Given the cost of ammo going up and that I have several 9mm handguns already, what do you guys think about a 1911 in 9mm such as an STI Trojan 9mm? Any other suggestions?

·
Banned
1,713 Posts
I think it's one of the easiest guns to shoot. Fully 10% faster/more accurate with STI Trojan 9mm than with any 1911 45 ACP.

Cheaper to feed, no matter how you look at it.

STI Trojan is top notch. Use Dawson as they will iron it out for you. STI 9mm's are finicky about the feed ramp and magazines. Get at least 6 mags and have them tune em' up.

With 10 rd mags, 9mm 1911 will be more common in Single Stack and Ltd 10 and certainly, it will continue it's reign in IDPA ESP Division.

·
Registered
15,319 Posts
not me (cheap am I)

I found a used Springfield Armory 5" 9x19 stainless w/adjustables and eight mags for $650.

A fit barrel bushing was all it needed.....

Used, like me.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I carry a Kimber Tactical Pro II chambered in 9mm. It runs 100% now that I have good magazines (Tripp 10R-9MM-RG).
Good luck. :)

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
Given the cost of ammo going up and that I have several 9mm handguns already, what do you guys think about a 1911 in 9mm such as an STI Trojan 9mm? Any other suggestions?
Personally love the 9mm in the 1911 platform. Just plain easy shooting. Lower ammo costs. Some very good guns out there.

I currently own multiple Springers and two STI's in 9mm. The STI's (Ranger II and Trojan) edge out the others overall, although my Springers (Loadeds, Mil Spec with acc-u-rails, and Caspian frame/Springer slide hybrid) are also solid and accurate shooters.

The STI's sometimes (but not always) require a bit of tweaking. Buying from someone who will check it over well (like Brazos) is a good idea. Once running they are workhorse guns that run and shoot very well.

Guess I should ask what your intended plans are for this weapon???
My STI Trojan is a tac on target tight pistol (target sights and Dawson fiber optic front sight) while the others in the herd are basic SD/HD guns with combat sights. All will do real fine SD shooting with the Ranger II and the acc-u-railed Mil Spec being the easiest to handle and the most accurate in combat type/tight shooting. Good luck to you in your choice.

Be safe, shoot well. :rock:

·
Banned
1,607 Posts
The STI is a decent gun. There are some feed ramp issues with them as stated above. I have a Kimber CST 9mm/.40 that feeds any bullet I stick in the mag. It also works 100% with 10 round 38 Super mags.
It is just as accurate as any of my Kimbers. It really likes cast bullets.

·
Registered
70 Posts
No matter which one you go with, you will thoroughly enjoy it, cheap to shoot, easier to control, and just flat out fun to shoot. Plus with the right load it is just as effective as 45acp....... I have a Springfield Loaded and a new EMP, great guns.

·
Registered
478 Posts
See what Dan Wesson ends up doing. They made a small run of the PM-9 (their Pointman-7 model chambered in 9mm) last year. I believe this was to test the market. They ended up selling all of these pistols and I had heard that they planned on introducing it to their regular line-up. I'm sure we'll know in the next couple of weeks, once SHOT winds up. Never handled one but they looked great - all stainless, adjustable sights, and FCS. (Not too crazy about that last feature.) IMO, an excellent, well made pistol.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts