1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
News from The Sight M1911

JEFF COOPER ON M1911 SPRINGS “TAKING A SET”
From Johnny Shoemaker we hear of a 1911 pistol which had resided in Condition 1
since its owner’s death in 1929 – all springs compressed. It functions perfectly
today, together with all of its ammunition. This does not surprise me since I
had a similar experience with my old Super .38, though not over so long a time
period. – from Guns and Ammo, December 2001

·
Administrator
72,143 Posts
Hmm, considering that most of the old 1911s I bought had oil that had dried up and glued the parts together, I'm a bit skeptical about the "working perfectly" bit. But if it's true we have more ammo against Glock owners.
G-mags don't like to be left loaded for a long time I have found.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://usgi1911.tripod.com

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I believe that this is entirely possible and would not be surprised if all the old ammo fired as well. I have some WW-1 1918 head stamped .45acp and I have shot some of it and have not had a miss fire. I have never known Jeff Cooper to put out bad dope either.

7th

------------------
Support Your Local Police

·
Registered
347 Posts
Generally, if the spring was properly designed and the material was not defective or improperly specified, then after an initial "set" the spring will maintain its tension indefinitly. The "set" is a design parameter that a competent designer will take into account. What wears out a properly designed spring is fatigue cycles ie compression, expansion, usually measured in the hundreds of thousands or millions of cycles - not static tension.

Think about cars. When a car is not operated some of the valve springs are compressed. Cars sit for years and then run fine without breaking or floating their valves because of spring "set". In my experience, only extremely stressed, marginally designed springs like the springs in air rifles cannot tolerate indefinite compression.

What I do is fully load every magazine and always leave it that way. I use every magazine in practice. If it ever fails, then I know I have a bad one.

If any firearm I own had consistent magazine spring failures, I would consider the weapon a bad design for self defense.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Properly made springs do not fail due to compression. In more than fifty years with Colt 1911 magazines, I never changed a spring and never saw a failure.

In the course of business in my store, saw lots of old loaded mags. All worked. Same with guns, if they were stored dry. Now if some dummy had sprayed them with WD 40, well thats a different story. GLV

·
Registered
554 Posts
"G-mags don't like to be left loaded for a long time I have found."

Hmm... what do you consider "a long time"? I have a couple of G17 magazines that I left loaded for about 4 years, and about two months ago I took them to the range and they functioned just like the other magazines. Those G17 magazines were fully loaded, 17 rounds, BTW.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Originally posted by GLV:
Now if some dummy had sprayed them with WD 40, well thats a different story. GLV
What's wrong with a lubricated mag spring? Or is the ACT of spraying oil on live ammo rds(while still in the mag)the(obviously)wrong thing to do?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts