1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,716 Posts
"Brushing" a 1911 with a sleeve will not cause it to discharge. Neither will disengaging the safety. What they mean, I'm sure, is that the officers pulled the trigger, after those incidents, and since the safeties were not engaged, pulling the triggers caused the guns to discharge. Classic NDs.

·
Registered
11,100 Posts
This article is so ludicrous. I would personally delete it. I love how all the accounts jump from safeties being brushed off to instant discharges. One guy brushed the thumb safety off getting in the front seat (presumably still in the holster) next thing you know the grip safety and trigger simultaneously self depress firing a round into his foot.

:barf:

·
Registered
921 Posts
Isn't that quite a few ND's for one department?

Perhaps they need to train their officers better in handling firearms safely.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Quote -

"Isn't that quite a few ND's for one department?"

The article mentioned FOUR NDs, one in '77, one in '92, and two this year. For a department with probably 2500 or more officers, four ND's in 26 years isn't that many.

I'm not excusing ND's, they are a liability, but in the big picture, police departments shell out A LOT more lawyer money on car chases and @$$ whippings...ND's are just more embarrassing. The CHIEF of Coral Gables, FL resigned about a year ago after having TWO ND's in one year! How do you list that on the ole resume?:rolleyes:

The sad fact is that the higher ups in most police departments focus not on HOW GOOD officers COULD BE, but what is the MINIMUM we can spent on firearms training and not get sued.:(

·
Registered
11,100 Posts
The moral of the story is dont dick around with loaded guns. If he had left his gun in the holster where it belongs he would still be alive today. He was getting it out of a desk drawer. Something probably snagged the trigger while his fingers on the grip depressed the grip safety and blammo.

·
Registered
85 Posts
What....

The safety was "brushed off" and the weapon discharged....I'm not buying it....he had to have been handling the weapon somehow. Same for the fella who shot his horse...too many things have to come into play before a 1911 will fire we all know this......keeping your finger off the trigger it the main one and the officers should have done just that. The reporter states the department has had problems with this gun before. The problem was with the officers not the gun. I would expect a da/doa to have a higher rate of ND's because of its lack of safety devices.....the last line of deffense agianst a ND is your brain....they should have used theires.
I'm happy they wern't severly injured and hopefully they took a refresher course in proper firearms handling....or work behind a desk.....watch for flying staples.
Have a very good day folks
Sigkim

·
Registered
356 Posts
Regardless of how a good man is DEAD. The most important thing and safety is the one behind the trigger. I am sure all of us who carry a firearm for a living find ourselves getting a little lazy in the gun "handling" department. It is easy to become lazy and forgetting that the weapon in our hand is dangerous when taken lightly or for granted. Nothing should be routine. Sound familar.
Stay safe RIP brother and God look out for his family

·
Registered
614 Posts
I would be a LOT more concerned about HOW the Glock kept firing repeatedly while a cop is taking a dump!! 28 years of LEO working homicide can give you a reason for suicide. We lost a guy in his 30's last month to suicide.

·
Registered
9,203 Posts
I wonder just how many NDs occured in Houston since 1977 involving either revolvers or DA semi-autos?

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Denny said:
Regardless of how a good man is DEAD. The most important thing and safety is the one behind the trigger. I am sure all of us who carry a firearm for a living find ourselves getting a little lazy in the gun "handling" department. It is easy to become lazy and forgetting that the weapon in our hand is dangerous when taken lightly or for granted. Nothing should be routine. Sound familar.
Stay safe RIP brother and God look out for his family
Yes, a good man is dead, but not because of some safety issue or mishandling. He apparently handled the gun just as he intended to do, in a knowing fashion. Not and ND, AD, or UD, but and ID (intentional discharge) - as noted by toner guy, they are now saying this is a suicide.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
What makes it into the news...or even the official report, is often unrealated to what actually happened.

We had a case up in one of our population centers in which a young man was shot by an on-duty officer. It was claimed to be an "accident" when the officers S&W revolver slipped out of his holster and went off.

Since the bullet entered the victims sternum and exited at the same height out the back some folks demanded a closer look. After it was determined that the hammer block was indeed functioning in the revolver the officer finally admitted that he was demonstrating his fast draw...:rolleyes:

No piece of equipment is *fool*-proof!
Cordiallly,
Jim Higginbotham

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Um, yeah, what makes the news or official reports may not be actually what happened. Sometimes the cops investigating event don't even know what happened even though they think they do. Given those are our sources for information, however, that is what we have to work with.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Double Naught Spy said:
Um, yeah, what makes the news or official reports may not be actually what happened. Sometimes the cops investigating event don't even know what happened even though they think they do. Given those are our sources for information, however, that is what we have to work with.
For sure, I recall a Louisville Police Chief who got on the news and said : "The subject was armed with an AK-47 and a bag of half-moon clips."

Gone are the days when cops are expected to know something about guns - sad to say.

Regards,
Jim H.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
THEM DURN PESKY GUNS!
THEY'RE ALWAYS DOIN' STUFF LIKE THAT, AND GOIN' OFF WHEN THEY AREN'T S'POZED TO!

·
Registered
119 Posts
"Problems" with 1911

Those stories sound like a lot of what comes out of a horse after a very large meal.

These are the guys who think only they should have guns.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

·
Registered
322 Posts
I recall a Louisville Police Chief who got on the news and said : "The subject was armed with an AK-47 and a bag of half-moon clips."
I never knew they had a revoler AK-47 but the question is where they preban half moons or the post ban "safer" variety :rofl:

·
Registered
513 Posts
Folks, look at the title of this thread! SOMEONE killed the officer. The gun did not decide to fire, someone negated the safeties and pulled the trigger!
Just like those stories of "SUV RAMS HOUSE". NO, a person ran his vehicle into a house.
Stop trying to blame the object, blame a person.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
So you mean the AK-47 doesn't have an adapter to accept half moon clips? Now you will probably tell me that the AK mag adapter for my revolver that I ordered isn't going to work. Darn!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts