1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased my first 1911, a used Kimber Pro CDP II. It had no more than 50 rounds through it and was a steal for the price. I was not familiar with the assembly/dissambly methods for the pistol, so I sat down and started reading the manual and came upon the part where it instructs you to utilized the "take down tool." I looked at the picture and could not find one in the box.

What is the take down tool and where do I find one? It kinda looks like a little hex wrench...

·
Registered
500 Posts
Use a paper clip and put a tiny 90 degree bend at one end of the paper clip that will fit into the hole on the guide rod. Use a needle nose plier to bend the paper clip. When you buy them new in the box, you should be issued a take down tool. The paper clip is what my buddy uses because he bought his used without a tool.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Take a paper clip, straighten it out, break it in half, insert the end slightly into the take down hole in your guide rod, and bend the paper clip so that it's parallel to the guide rod. Now you have a field expedient takedown tool.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
You guys rock...Just saved me $1.99...

Tried it when I first got home and it worked fine...I am a Sig/Glock guy, so this was a new experience disassembling and reassembling a 1911...Took a few tries, but I got it...

The gun wasn't too dirty for a used gun, however, I did a full cleaning and lubrication...Upon visual inspection, it is in mint condition with no blemishes, scratches or wear marks anywhere...

Can't wait to get it out to the range in a week or so...I will post a range report once I get it out there...

Thanks again for the help...I am sure I will have many more questions as I progress...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts