1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the life on a new Springfield Armory or Colt 1911? How long can I expect it to last me, and how does this compare to other guns?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did...

I have tried but no one gives me a straight answer...

I just want to know how many rounds can go through a 1911 before it needs to be replaced

oh btw i know this made a new thread but the site won't let me delete my own thread, sry!

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
The reason no one gives you a straight answer is because there isn't one. It all depends on the load, gun, etc. Even with that info, it still depends. The answer is alot and you probably shouldn't worry about it. If you shoot one to the point of complete failure, you will have shot enough out of that gun you could afford to replace it.

·
Registered
9,203 Posts
Do a search in my name with Ithaca as the subject. over 300,000 rounds before needing a slide transplant.

So, the number would be higher than the projected military service life of a Beretta.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
If you change the barrel every 75,000 rounds, or so, it should last indefinitely.

We still have pistols around that were made in 1913, they still work, etc.

Can you re-phrase the question?

How much do you shoot, anyway...?

·
Registered
378 Posts
You may break some small parts, but the frame/slide/barrel will likely last over 100,000 rounds. And any small part that breaks under 20,000 rounds is a bad part.

·
Premium Member
20,434 Posts
Assuming you're talking about an all steel pistol, it'll outlast you unless you start shooting competition often. Replace the springs as instructed, you'll be fine. After you buy one, additional ones WILL come, it's inevitable. Then if you wear one out, there'll be plenty more.

·
Premium Member
10,798 Posts
No one can answer this:

That question is just like buying a new Chevy and asking the day you bought when the transmission is going to fail.
Who can answer that? - No one, of course.
A gun is like any other machined piece or tool...It will fail when it reaches its limit...of that PARTICULAR piece of steel etc...

Art

·
Registered
78 Posts
Jim V said:
Do a search in my name with Ithaca as the subject. over 300,000 rounds before needing a slide transplant.

So, the number would be higher than the projected military service life of a Beretta.
Jim V:

I have to ask - how did you average more than 4,000 rounds a month???

Would I be correct in concluding that you didn't have to pay for the ammunition yourself?

PJH

·
Registered
992 Posts
Is he a reloader maybe?

·
Registered
9,203 Posts
Back when surplus .45 ammo was going for 1.5 - 2 cents/round (and for a while we were getting it at a penny/round) and I was making real good money for the time. It wasn't expensive to buy and shoot that much. I couldn't reload it cheaper.

$40.00 would buy a lot of ammo, and most places included shipping in that price. Four or five of us would pool our money, send in an order and a big pile of ammo would be delivered. And we'd shoot it up. Boy, did we become good shots.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
I can just envision Jim V waiting on his porch for the delivery from the "UPS Brown"...........colored horse-drawn wagon!:biglaugh:

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,529 Posts
I think the expected service life of the M9 is 5,000 rounds.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
WOW! If thats accurate and you shoot 2 boxes of ammo per week, the M9 would only last a year!?!?!? Did I figure that right?:(

·
Registered
793 Posts
The service life of the M9 is supposed to be 25,000 rounds before it has to be sent in for depot(?) level maintenance. Slides are supposed to last 5,000 rounds.

All that is is a gov't spec though. If I remember correctly it's the exact same spec the 1911 had. Rifles only have to shoot 3" groups at 100yds to pass and so forth. I guess they just set requirements low so when weapons are actually used in combat there is enough parts to keep them working.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Dear N3rday,

Welcome to the forum. I don't have any idea but it's probably, judging from previous discussions, a minimum of 30,000 rounds depending upon how well you take care of it and how dutifuly you replace worn out parts like the recoil spring. As someone said before you can do a search of this forum (General Gun) and probably have the best luck using NUMBER OF ROUNDS or something like that as your search criteria. I'm now going to merge both of your threads. Good luck! Gary

·
Registered
983 Posts
My gunsmith tells of some of his creations, in the hands of hardcore IPSC shooters, lasting over into the deep 6 digits.

That said, here's my take on it:

If, in normal shooting/light competition/practice the gun fails you in your lifetime, you've got some slide/frame defect.

If you shoot many thousands of rounds a month, and do it EVERY month, you're spending a fortune on ammo and a new gun will be a minor portion of the cost - just expect to pay it.

In some ways, IMHO, the 1911 is OVER-engineered - it didn't have weight shaved by a computer based on the average usage. Face it - people who shoot a few thousand rounds through a gun, IN ITS LIFETIME, are the exception, not the rule. I shudder to think of gunmakers taking this into account - I mean, those of us who shoot them to breakage probably cost them more (through having to make the gun strong or accept returns) than the majority of customers.

·
Registered
582 Posts
N3rday said:
What is the life on a new Springfield Armory or Colt 1911? How long can I expect it to last me, and how does this compare to other guns?
Keep it clean and lubed, Your next of kin can bury it with you.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I agree with all but comparing the life of a gun to the life of your car is apples to oranges. You use your car everyday and the average person might drive 70-80 miles a day on the commute to work. I would wager your Springfield milspec will last you and your next generations lifetime. Like someone else said, some 1911's were made....well, as early as 1911 and are still around and functioning perfectly....some were made and never shot or barely shot.

Go out, shoot your Springfield and enjoy. Life is too short to worry about the life expectency of your firearm. You'll acquire more and more firearms and you'll forget you even had your Springfield.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts