1911Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
I am new to competition shooting and would like to use my stock 45 springfield 1911. My question is what changes to the gun can I make to shoot idpa and uspsa with the same gun. I have read the rules and I think I understand most of them. I would really like to add a magwell . Is this ok for most classes. Any help to a new shooter would really be appreciated.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Dan

·
Banned
1,607 Posts
Dan, it is OK to add a magwell in both IPSC and IDPA. You would shoot Limited 10 in IPSC and CDP in IDPA. You can add a tungsten guide rod in Lim. 10.
BTW there is an IDPA match held just outside of Jasper each month. You can go www.georgiaidpa.org for more info.

·
Registered
426 Posts
You can add a magwell but be careful that the gun will still fit in theIDPA box. My Springfield with Kings magwell just makes it, in fact the spring on the Bomar is slightly depressed. No problem for USPSA Limited 10.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,428 Posts
As long as you don't change to a bushingless barrel, you can do just about any of the popular 1911 mods. As already mentioned, you don't want to add much grip length, or the gun won't fit in the IDPA box, and you don't want to add anything that increases the weight. Sights, triggers, extended controls are mostly OK - the IDPA rule book is available online, at idpa.com - and the equipment rules are all there. Anything that is IDPA legal is also USPSA legal.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replys,
That answers most of my questions.
I can't find in the rule books anything about extended slide releases. I was in a motorcycle accident years ago and lost a lot or feeling in both my thumbs and have had the larger slide release on several 1911s over the years. I see that extended mag releases are not allowed in most classes but can't find anything on the larger slide releases.

Dan

·
Registered
22,192 Posts
An extended slide stop is not on the list of permissible modifications, but it is not anything that is checked for or banned. Many people try them and go back to standard, but you have a special need.

The .060" taller "tactical" magazine catches are ok, they just don't allow the enlarged button heads.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
The extended slide releases are not IDPA legal and I did see one gentleman at the Nationals last year told he had two options, find a permissible slide stop or he was DQ'd. He changed the stop. This was a rare instance of someone actually checking the equiptment.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Following the rules of the game is all well and good.

However, there are a good number of things they did not consider in their Little Green Book.

Am LH and have a cut down extended slide lever on my 1911's as come up under the gun on a reload with the "magazine" hand. Also for Type III malfunction drills.

No one in local IDPA has a problem with this as it does not fit the "...used to gain a competitive advantage.." byline in IDPA.

For "Sanctioned" Matches have a stock one with the bottom checkered.
No one at these Matches has bitched {so far!} about either.

·
Registered
688 Posts
oldfatman7 said:
Thanks for the replys,
That answers most of my questions.
I can't find in the rule books anything about extended slide releases. I was in a motorcycle accident years ago and lost a lot or feeling in both my thumbs and have had the larger slide release on several 1911s over the years. I see that extended mag releases are not allowed in most classes but can't find anything on the larger slide releases.

Dan
Smith & Alexander make an ambidextrous mag release for the 1911. If you're right handed, you can use the middle finger on your shooting hand to release the mag. Don't even have to change your grip. It's 99 dollars from Brownell's.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Don't worry too much about having your gun meet the letter of the rules, at most local matches where you'll most likely start shooting you won't get called on something like an extended slide release or a magwell.

Don't waste money on parts for your gun, spend money on mags that work evertime, a decent holster that the gun draws well from and ammo and then go out and practice. Get comfortable with shooting, doing reloads, drawing safely and quickly and getting the first shot on target.

After you've shot a few matches YOU will know what you need to change on your gun. A totally stock gun that runs all the time and practice is worth more than any amount of modifications.

Just my .02

·
Registered
44 Posts
The IDPA rules forbid replacing the stock guide rod with a HEAVER one. so no tungsten guides are allowed. As far as extened slide release to me they are more of a hinderence than help. I think you are more likely to lock your slide back by accident which will cost you a lot more time than reaching forward to release your slide at slidelock. And no you can not disable your safety. Why do people insist on doing this, get a grip safety with a memory grove and forget about it.l:mad:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts