1911Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a SA loaded that I have a few questions about.

First, slide to frame fit during lockup seems a little loose - but I have read here that that is OK. What I don't like is the fact that the finish quickly wore off of the lower part of the slide (recoil spring tunnel - or whatever it is called) where it rubs against the frame (also wearing the finish off of the inside of the frame). Would a tighter slide to frame fit fix this? Should I do this myself or deal with sending it back to Springfield?

Also, the barrel to slide fit seems loose during lockup. It has some play both vertically and horizontally. I'm pretty sure that affects accuracy - probably in a major way.

If I am unclear, I can take pictures...

Thanks

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Tightening the slide to the frame most likely wouldn't fix that problem unless the 'smith paid particular attention to it. Most likely he'd remove some metal from the inside of the frame dust cover to clear the slide. When tightening the slide to frame, one method is to peen the frame rails, which lowers the slide onto the frame and that would make your problem worse. Another method is to weld the frame rails to add material to the rails' top section...and that would probably relieve the metal contact you're experiencing...but either way is expensive, won't add much to accuracy, and I think should be remedied by Springfield.
On the barrel looseness. If it does indeed have both vertical and horizontal movement when locked up in battery, you're right, it will definitely effect accuracy.

Bob

·
Premium Member
941 Posts
Hi Shadowblade,

I don't know if you'll have much luck going back to Springfield, because a 'LOADED' model is a production gun, probably all 'DROP-IN' fit, not a custom gun build from the custom shop.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts