1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So which one should I get? :biglaugh:

Seriously though, Im in the market for my first 1911. Looking to spend no more than $900-$1000. I was thinking SIG GSR but then I thought, "How can my first 1911A1 be anything other than a Colt?" So started looking at XSEs and model 70s. Man those things look sweet. Never fired or even held one though.

But then, some started suggesting I go with a mil spec Springer. Argument being its a good base gun that should perform reasonably well right outta the box. Then if I decide I want to make modifications, I can. Makes sense to me. Plus the fact that I can get a SA mil spec for around 500$.

What say you 1911forum.com?:hrm:

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
i say start with a basic one, the springer mil spec would be a good start.

getting a high end one is ok, but to learn the gun and get used to it i would get one that is more basic, and then let your tastes develope from there.

it would be cheaper in the long run maybe to buy one with all the bells and whistles on it, but if your into tinkering, a basic 1911 like the springer is a great platform to customize the way you want it.

i personally figured out years ago that i like the more basic model. if the ones with the extras seem to catch your eye, than by all means go ahead and get one, you can always buy a basic one later that has more of a " classic 1911" feel to it.

i know nothing of the sig 1911's they dont qualify as something i would want, so i cant speak for them. i can say that springers are great guns.

let us know what you decide! and be sure to post pics of it

russel
SDMF

·
Registered
15,319 Posts
worms; can, one

Can highly recommend S&W.
Can suggest a cheap(er) Springfield Armory, too, because they are normally 'decent' (enough) as new, and DO provide a solid quality platform for further "individualization".

Both solid choices.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I think you will be very pleased with a mil-spec Spring
field. I had an old Springer years ago that had been used a LOT.
I slightly modified it by adding a BarSto bbl and K series sights, and did a trigger job. It turned out to be the best 1911 I have ever owned.
I now have a model 70 Colt and a Les Baer, but the Springfield was just as accurate. Never had a malfunction.

Doc

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
So which one should I get? :biglaugh:
Seriously though, Im in the market for my first 1911. Looking to spend no more than $900-$1000. I was thinking SIG GSR but then I thought, "How can my first 1911A1 be anything other than a Colt?" So started looking at XSEs and model 70s. Man those things look sweet. Never fired or even held one though. But then, some started suggesting I go with a mil spec Springer. Argument being its a good base gun that should perform reasonably well right outta the box. Then if I decide I want to make modifications, I can. Makes sense to me. Plus the fact that I can get a SA mil spec for around 500$.
What say you 1911forum.com?:hrm:
Starting off with a basic gun (like the Springer Mil Spec) gives you the feel of well....a basic gun. After you shot it in hand for a bit you can mod it up according to your own specific tastes, wants and desires.

If you already have a sense of what you are going to want in a 1911 then going with a Colt, Springer, S&W, Kimber, etc. (all in your price range) that is already what you are after may be the way to go.

A lot depends on your own sense of what you are after in the way of a 1911 either now, or down the line.

Good luck and let us know how it goes. :rock:

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've had a few 1911's
SA 1911
SA TRP
Colt Mark
Colt Delta elite
SW1911
The only one I still have is the SW1911
Regardless of price. I liked it the best.
Trigger was better than both my SA's and my Colts. The gun is smooth on the hands unlike the other's. Can't beat a lifetime warranty and they pay the shipping both ways!

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
The SA Mil-Spec is a heck of a value for the money. Colt would also be a nice option.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I'll never understand the concept of paying $600 for a basic 1911 and then paying a local gunsmith $300-400 in P&L to make it exactly what I could have bought for $800 up front and have a lifetime warranty... We did it in the olden days because it was the only choice we had. Now if you dislike modern features like a beavertail safety that's a different thing. Of course the Colt name is vital to some people. If so you could always pickup a Colt for ~$800-1000 and then pay Cylinder & Slide or another "name" custom house another $800-1000 (and wait 6-7 months) to turn it into almost the functional equivalent of an S&W SW1911. I'll pass but it's your money. ;)

I suggest looking at the S&W SW1911 line and the Springfield Armory Loaded series. Both are excellent pistols for beginners and advanced shooters and both have lifetime warranties. You won't outgrow these fine pistols... You'll just keep adding to your collection. :D Of the two I prefer the S&W because I find that on average they have a bit better fit and finish and on average have a much better trigger. The S&W also has an undercut front-strap/trigger guard allowing it to sit more deeply in the average hand. That's something that would be very expensive to fix when customizing a basic pistol.

Not undercut vs undercut:
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u197/damnfineguy/Illustrations/TRP-circle.jpg
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/...tions/SWDougKoenigProfessionalSeriesSW191.jpg

Reviews:
http://www.gunblast.com/SW1911.htm

·
Registered
251 Posts
You'll get all kinds of suggestions here,

my 0.02 cents....stick to your price range and get the springfield loaded. The reliability is awesome. you don't need a basic gun to learn with, I'm sure you can learn just fine on a higher end gun...really, they aren't any different from a learning perspective, and you'll get a gun with a better fit and more reliable.

·
Registered
509 Posts
i got it figured out for ya !! for a thousand u can buy two mil specs !!! there u go problem solved and then that way u can learn them both !! +1 S&W +1 SIG GSR listen to MITROD he always has wise advise......

·
Registered
93 Posts
Find a good gun store and check the prices, I got a S&W1911 that had a MSRP of 1304.00 with laser grips for $790.00 NIB

As mentioned the lifetime warranty rocks and sealed my deal :rock:

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
While the Springfield is a pretty good pistola, there will be a lot of parts that you will toss when customizing, the most expensive being the barrel. Most Colt barrels, OTOH, shoot right along with all but the creme de la creme aftermarket "match" barrels (Kart & BAR-STO). Even then, the difference is measured in tenths of an inch at 50 yards, which is pretty meaningless for a self-defense pistol.

My recommendation is to get a Colt Series 70 in stainless or blue, shoot it a bit, and then either send it back to Colt's Custom Shop for their "Model O Package" or to a "name" custom 1911 pistolsmith/shop for the equivalent and some other work, such as a beveled mag. well, Brown or Wilson "tactical" thumb safety, and a trigger job. From my personal experience handling and examining a Colt S70 with Model O package, the quality of work is excellent and the price, amazing.

·
Premium Member
9,803 Posts
hands down first 1911....SA Milspec. The base gun of choice for top professional custom work. Its about the best plain jane example of a 1911...SA has a lifetime warranty and CS second to none...you will have a shooter right from the getgo. SA barrels are exceptional (both 2 and 1 piece) and their forgings can go head to head with anyone. Their true dedication to keeping the 1911s line just like JB intended is incentive enough, and no firing pin BS to deal with. A real shooters base 1911. Can be modded to the hilt...with only money being the limit.

Take a look over at louderthanwords site....check out all the full house custom jobs done to a base SA Milspec...they are drool-able. check out rogersprecision.com too...Chuck's gallery is loaded with the prettiest milspecs you will ever lay eyes on...bar none.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow, thanks for all the great responses. Dang, I still dont know what to get. :confused:

Im pretty sure Ive got it down to SW, Colt, or SA.

I am very familiar with SW's no BS lifetime warranty. Must admit, that is a big plus when talking about a 1911.

Colts are as classic as it gets. Seen one up close, and to say that I was impressed would be an understatement. Whatta beauty it was.

Havent heard one bad word about Springers.

Ugh, decisions, decisions.

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
Wow, thanks for all the great responses. Dang, I still dont know what to get. :confused: Im pretty sure Ive got it down to SW, Colt, or SA. I am very familiar with SW's no BS lifetime warranty. Must admit, that is a big plus when talking about a 1911. Colts are as classic as it gets. Seen one up close, and to say that I was impressed would be an understatement. Whatta beauty it was. Havent heard one bad word about Springers. Ugh, decisions, decisions.
Yep....it can get a bit tough making choices in 1911 land. Vast variety does have it's blessings and it's drawbacks.

What really grabs you of the crew (S&W, COLT, SA) you mentioned? Anything particularly stand out at this point in time? All three makers are putting out good guns so you should do fine with whatever choice you make. Sure, we out here are all partial to one maker or another (or multiples in some cases).........as you can see from the responces.

Look forward to hearing what you went with and how it runs.

Good luck to you. :rock:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yep....it can get a bit tough making choices in 1911 land. Vast variety does have it's blessings and it's drawbacks.

What really grabs you of the crew (S&W, COLT, SA) you mentioned? Anything particularly stand out at this point in time?
Good luck to you. :rock:
Basically its how much bang for my buck Im getting. At this point in time, Im favoring the SA, either mil spec or loaded.

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
Basically its how much bang for my buck Im getting. At this point in time, Im favoring the SA, either mil spec or loaded.
"bang for the buck"......yep......Springer. I own multiples of each maker you mentioned. Springer has consistantly delivered a solid product at a very good price. Nothing against COLT or S&W....both solid guns....but Springer seems to do the "bang for the buck" thing very well.

As to Springer quality....my smith just took an old beat and shot to crap Springer Mil Spec 9mm and absolutely revived it. It now matches my Wilson CQB in accuracy (even with the original Springer barrel still in place) along with feeding anything I want to throw into it.

Again....good luck and show us some pics of what you end up with when the time comes.

Be safe, shoot well. :rock:

·
Registered
461 Posts
That's the problem/joy of 1911 addiction. Sooooooo many choices and limited money. Now get to a store and fondle your top three or four choices. See for yourself how it fits your hand. Preferably side by side. There are subtle differences. Next test the triggers. For self defense I favor a 4.5-6lb trigger, for target work a 3-4lb trigger. Next get to a range that rents bone stock examples of each. See how each works for you. The differences will be subtle but they are real.

In the end, whatever you buy it's just your first. It's an addiction. As long as your first functions to your expectations you'll buy more and grow your collection.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts