1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the Colt 1911 to the range today and it jammed with every magazine. I noticed this a few weeks ago and though it might be my mags fault, so I bought some new Wilson mags but still have the same issues. I’ve been using reloads (230 round nose over 5.3grs of 231) so I’ll try factory ammo next. It’s not fully ejecting and I’ll get an empty case that’s stuck to the extractor. Seems to happen on the 4th or 5th round most often. This is a 1970’s Series 70 with about 3-400 rounds through it. Any ideas?

Update: I pulled the extractor for inspection and did a complete cleaning. I went to the range again today with different mags and factory ammo. It still won’t eject all the cases completely. It always seems to happen with the last 1 or 2 rounds in the mag. Sometimes I can shoot through a complete mag without a problem but most times I get jams.

Still looking for suggestions. Your my last hope!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
My first thought is that there is not enough extractor tension.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Is this issue new or is the gun new to you and you’re unaware if the issues always existed?

It looks like the extractor is holding the case but the ejector is missing the case. I’m curious if the breach face is over cut and the round below the empty case is pushing it up so the ejector misses the empty case.

You can check the breach face by taking the slide off the gun. Putting a case in the extractor and pushing it all the way up into breach face then looking down the ejector track of the slide and see how much case is exposed.

Brett Cifaldi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Difficult, maybe impossible, to diagnose from afar, but I'd suspect extractor tension too, if it was previously reliable with the same ammo you're using. I'd also have a look at the ejector to confirm it is as it should be. Have you recently installed a new and/or stronger recoil spring? And reference changing magazines; magazines have no role in extraction or ejection. The gun should extract and eject properly even if there is no magazine in the gun.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought this gun from a friend 40 years ago. It was only a few months old then with only 100 rounds through it. I took it to a gunsmith for trigger work and new adjustable sights then put it in the safe. I never shot it until last month.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Does it have a Shok-Buff in it?

·
Registered
494 Posts
I took the Colt 1911 to the range today and it jammed with every magazine. I noticed this a few weeks ago and though it might be my mags fault, so I bought some new Wilson mags but still have the same issues. I’ve been using reloads (230 round nose over 5.3grs of 231) so I’ll try factory ammo next. It’s not fully ejecting and I’ll get an empty case that’s stuck to the extractor. Seems to happen on the 4th or 5th round most often. This is a 1970’s Series 70 with about 3-400 rounds through it. Any ideas?

Update: I pulled the extractor for inspection and did a complete cleaning. I went to the range again today with different mags and factory ammo. It still won’t eject all the cases completely. It always seems to happen with the last 1 or 2 rounds in the mag. Sometimes I can shoot through a complete mag without a problem but most times I get jams.

Still looking for suggestions. Your my last hope!

I am guessing that the slide was locked back in the photo? That particular failure to eject was the last round in the magazine?

What happens when the failure to eject is not the last round? Does it attempt to rechamber the empty case, or does it try to feed a new round under the empty case?

If the extractor is not "letting go" of the case rim, the problem is more likely with the ejector or the slide cycle.

Can you manually eject an empty case by pulling the slide back sharply? You may have to fit the case into position under the extractor first and then feed it into the chamber to try this. Some extractors do not like to "snap" over the case rim if the case is already in the chamber.

-

·
Registered
642 Posts
Was the gun lubed before the range trip? That’s a long time to sit without attention.

·
Registered
924 Posts
I took the Colt 1911 to the range today and it jammed with every magazine.
How does the ejector look? Is the nose intact? Is the ejector itself firmly attached to the frame?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Setting in safe for that long I would do a detail clean to remove the old gummy lube that may have dried up. Then use some Syn oil to lube it up before the next range trip.

·
Registered
924 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
980 Posts
Definitely time to look at the extractor.
How far does the empty case land from the pistol? I bet not far.
The round below the fired case is actually pushing the case out of the ejection port. There is less magazine spring pressure when there are fewer rounds in the magazine. That means the case is less likely to be pushed out with fewer rounds in the magazine. My experience is the last round will not be ejected like your picture.
In my experience, the extractor hook was worn so bad it was not gripping the case rim enough to force the case into the ejector. The case would immediately be released and lay in the ejection port.
My pistol was used in competition and the hook was wornmshort.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Definitely time to look at the extractor.
How far does the empty case land from the pistol? I bet not far.
The round below the fired case is actually pushing the case out of the ejection port. There is less magazine spring pressure when there are fewer rounds in the magazine. That means the case is less likely to be pushed out with fewer rounds in the magazine. My experience is the last round will not be ejected like your picture.
In my experience, the extractor hook was worn so bad it was not gripping the case rim enough to force the case into the ejector. The case would immediately be released and lay in the ejection port.
My pistol was used in competition and the hook was wornmshort.
I’ll try to get a close up picture of the extractor.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts