1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any problems with the grip safety while using a Ransom Rest? The first round does fine but then the grip safety releases and will not fire the second round.

Do you have to disable the grip safety in order to use the ransom rest?

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
How did you get the first round to fire?

No trick question, just curious.

Regards,
Kur

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I held the grip safety in and tightened the ransom rest onto the gun. It held the grip safety for the first shot but the shock of the recoil loosened the grip safety so it wouldn't fire the second shot.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Will it stay in by itself now, if you press it in prior to firing the shot?
If it does you are good to go.

If not you might need a bit of tough ribbon or small strip of cloth to hold the GS down. I think you should avoid tape, might be tough to get the sticky stuff off after the tape's been clamped in.

Or remove the GS, unless it's a newer pistol that needs the lever to release the firing pin.

Kur

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes we have the correct inserts. The rubber band might be the trick. I thought we were tightening it down good enough to hold the GS. Maybe I need to really crank on it.

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
Use a rubber band or equal - using a Ransom Rest is an art.

The inserts can't fit all the many varieties of grip safeties nor can the inserts fit all the varieties of ambi safety retainers perfectly. Consider doing a custom fit to your gun - though that's equally a real nuisance even pain.

Read the instructions many times.

The system needs settling shots - G. Gordon Liddy had a funny story about settling shots in his memoirs - really cranking down is not my own preferred technique.

For all I know your pistol may not settle - for sure a pistol that for one shot holds the grip safety in and for the next shot lets the grip safety move out that pistol is moving around - the rubber band can make the pistol shoot and for all I know may help hold the pistol still in the adapter but the history of movement may say something about how well the Ransom Rest will work for that pistol and load.

Some pistols with loose slides do as well hand held by a really hard holding sharp eyed shooter as they do in a Ransom Rest. I like mine more for qualifying rimfire ammunition than most anything else.

For bragging groups throwing the first shot away and then shooting five self-loaded may give a better bragging group

·
Premium Member
14,637 Posts
Have clamped quite a few in my Ransom without any trouble. Although if the particular gun requires the
GS to be fully depressed to the stop that my require tape or a rubber band.

LOG

·
Administrator
10,888 Posts
Is there a permanently affixed mag well that limits the contact between the frame and the insert?
It might be easier to troubleshot your process if we knew what it was.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I have never had this issue but ow that I think about it, all my GS's have the bump on them so that probably helps. A few wraps with electrical tape wouls take care of it as well as the other solutions.

Neal in AZ

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I own a Ransom Rest. The inserts for the 1911 keep the safety disengaged. :confused:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts