1911Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Don't know Mt Woodson... will look into it for next time! Thanks!

·
Premium Member
9,498 Posts
Moved to Savannah, GA 3 years ago after living in San Diego for 35 years. Great place to visit (for a couple days), but there's not enough devalued money in Uncle Joe's treasury department to get me back. The place was a paradise 25 years ago, turned to crap when the Dems started getting elected in the city and county 10-12 years ago.
And there are many that are rich enough that they can just ignore all of the bad parts.....as they step over and between the homeless. San Diego’s homeless rate is the 4th highest in the country. Disgusting what has been allowed to happen......to the entire state.....💩

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Disgusting what has been allowed to happen......to the entire state.....💩
Agreed... it's not like it was. We've been coming here for a little more than 30 years consistently to the exact same area. We rarely go downtown anymore.

THis trip has been interesting since we live in Tx- visiting Ca has been like a step back in time almost a year as far as covid restrictions go. Back to masking policies that make no sense. The airport and airlines are a total joke. Ca is about a year behind everyone else but with less common sense. You have to mask and social distance 6, or 10 ft to get into a restaraunt when in line but they will seat you at a table 2 feet from another with no regard for spacing. :rolleyes: When we were like that, we were at reduced capacity and they spaced out or skipped tables.

Reactions: mdell49

·
Registered
21 Posts
Cafe Coyote in San Diego
My wife loves Cafe Coyote. I tried taking her to Old Town Mexican Cafe, which has good food, but she over-ruled me. We normally rent a condo in Little Italy when we visit. Last time we were there was 2015 as our trip last year was cancelled. We noticed a large increase of homeless people pitching tents in the park. SD isn't as nasty as SF, but unless they do something soon, it will get there.

·
Registered
924 Posts
To sit outside and watch the women make fresh tortillas having a beer chips and salsa. OMG it doesn't get any better. And for those who have never visited San Diego it should be added to your list of vacation destinations. THE BEST CLIMATE anywhere. think of nice warm sunshine with a cool ocean breeze to cool you. Not wind, breeze. I lived in California for 65 years and never spoke to anyone who visited San Diego who did not love it. And for you young single guys there are the women!

·
Registered
13,628 Posts
crashclint----"do something" ? --------------- Homeless like SD & LA because it's comfortable outside. That's unchangeable.

Now would we have less homeless HERE if we offered less outreach / charity type assistance programs? Yep. Of course we'd attract less homeless folks to SAN DIEGO or CALIFORNIA in general if we had nothing for them here.

But that would not change the amount of homeless in the United States. Many of whom come to CA from far & wide. For not only the climate, but also the less onerous policing and the governmental & charitable benefits.

Now could we have aggressive policing, tearing down tents, throwing away their stuff, jailing for "vagrancy" & such? Sure. Push them out by force. Make 'em move back to Phoenix & Houston. But that doesn't really solve the problem. It just moves them around.

They will still be in the same situation because the main driver's of homelessness are & always been drug / alcohol addiction, mental illness, physical handicaps, unemployment due to criminal history ------------------ or very often, a combo of all the above! There's no easy fix for this outside of firing squads.

Btw, the reason the term for these hapless folks used to be "transients" is because as I said a large portion are from your states, not from CA. If you guys want them back, feel free to come get 'em.

·
Premium Member
5,664 Posts
Enjoy your time golfing! I played a little course called Pebble Beach and also Spanish Bay in 92. Was in awe the entire time. Always thought I’d go back but can’t really envision any reason to cross the border again. It was a gorgeous drive down the coast from San Francisco. Before I retired I played about 72 holes a week. I’m down to 18-36 a year since retirement. Pretty much the reverse of everyone else. Handicap has gone from a 2 to about 20 and I actually enjoy it more now that I don’t stress over scores.

·
Registered
24,612 Posts
To sit outside and watch the women make fresh tortillas having a beer chips and salsa. OMG it doesn't get any better. And for those who have never visited San Diego it should be added to your list of vacation destinations. THE BEST CLIMATE anywhere. think of nice warm sunshine with a cool ocean breeze to cool you. Not wind, breeze. I lived in California for 65 years and never spoke to anyone who visited San Diego who did not love it. And for you young single guys there are the women!
Yep! had a pretty good shack up going on in Solana beach for while back in the day. And they had a "gentleman's club" Right out the gate of the Nasco Shipyard that had some dancers beyond belief. Never seen a dancer that could do the song Wipe Out justice, before or since.

·
Registered
13,628 Posts
apipeguy -------------------- You're a wise man. Your not stressing over scores has made every day of your golf into a WINNING day of golf! That's brilliant.

Back in the day when I was a teen living in Pebble Beach my buddies & I would sneak onto the course & play for free. It was great because we gave no poops at all about how many strokes we took to sink a ball. Meanwhile, there were some pretty dang uptight dudes out there making themselves miserable over every (inevitable) error.

When I raced autocross in the late 1980's I had a few local sponsors with their ads on my team's car. I was always concerned about making a good showing on their behalf. Every knocked pylon (one full second added to time!) or missed apex stabbed me like an icepick.

Then I wised up. I told our sponsors "we will probably suck but your ad still looks GREAT on the car" and much to my surprise not even one sponsor dropped us. From that point forward racing was FUN again ---------------------- and our rankings climbed too!

Was that because we got better over time?

Maybe. But I think it was because I wasn't obsessed on an imaginary sweeping stopwatch in my head. I could focus on the car & the track, the actual RACING. Screw the scores.

I'll leave the high-positions on the leaderboard, Point Standings & related Live Or Die by 100th's of a Second stressing to those Tire-Heating-Blanket type unhappy perfectionists. The guys who file protests on other racers about microscopic infractions because they just can't face the fact that some people simply outdrove them.

On shooting, sure, there's guys who really thrive on competition and measuring fractions of inches & shot-timer improvements. Great. But I wager they may actually have more REAL FUN exploding cans of cheap soda with their friends.

·
Premium Member
9,498 Posts
But that would not change the amount of homeless in the United States. Many of whom come to CA from far & wide. For not only the climate, but also the less onerous policing and the governmental & charitable benefits
Annnd you’re good with that? Watching the crap hole just get bigger and continue to feed it? It’s lunacy. Nothing constructive is done, just encourage the activity and pretend it’s OK. This is how spreading disease begins.
Now could we have aggressive policing, tearing down tents, throwing away their stuff, jailing for "vagrancy" & such? Sure. Push them out by force. Make 'em move back to Phoenix & Houston. But that doesn't really solve the problem. It just moves them around
Yup
If you insist on continuing to fund the BS, at least build facilities to treat the mentally ill and dry out the druggies. As for the rest, tell them to get a damn job or take a walk into the ocean. Phoenix and Houston are closed.

·
Registered
13,628 Posts
Nitro .45 -------------- Not sure what you are asking or saying. You said "insisting on funding the BS" AND you recommended "build facilities" too ---------- Dude, isn't that Funding The BS? Which is it, Man? Pick a side.

And this "tell them to get a job or walk into the ocean" ?? what the heck does THAT mean? You cannot force employers to HIRE screwed-up people. And yeah, I'll be sure to drive past homeless folks, yelling out the window at them to jump in the ocean. That should fix things forthwith.

And Phoenix and Houston are NOT closed. They have their own homeless problems. ----------- Just like your own hometown where you haven't solved your own homeless problems either. Heck, you even just mentioned Spreading Disease.

I guess you live in Mayberry where Andy is still the Sheriff, there are no druggies, nobody masked, nobody died of Covid, and you can still stick to your horribly wrong predictions of "very few" US deaths that you posted earlier last year.

Yeah, 500,000 + dead Americans later, I still remember you calling me Chicken Little.

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
We've drifted from villa numbers to covid death numbers! ...lol

Yeah, 500,000 + dead Americans later
Lets temper the reported numbers with a little common sense.

We all know people who died of other causes and were labeled covid deaths... for over a year, they counted anything with cough or fever as "presumptive positive" and even if you died from something else, it was a covid death if you died with it. Combine that with the cancer patients, Alzheimer's, heart disease, strokes, old age, natural causes and more, plus all those who died of influenza (which they were calling covid and not testing for) and the actual, honest covid numbers are no where near that.

And no flu last year, it just took a vacation. Oh wait, they didn't start testing for the flu again until recently... which is laughable since flu season is long over.

Not my dog, not my fight but ALL the Dr.'s I know all agree on one thing- that the numbers are total bull. What's the real number? No clue but safe to say this wasn't the plague that many want you to believe it is.

·
Registered
13,628 Posts
Fletchero. Yes, some miscounting happened early on. That's why I said 500,000 deaths, not the CDC's number of 600,000. -------------- I hedged it by 100,000 for you.

---- But NO not all deaths of Covid+ people were counted as Covid deaths for "over a year" ----- Nope, that crap was over by Spring / Early summer 2020 when the new guidelines were that Covid had to have played a role in their demise. A real factor in your passing. Not just that you were Covid+ when you died.

And NO, there's not a Quincy / CSI style six month long retroactive analysis of every single death piling up (during a pandemic!) to figure out, what, PERCENTAGES of causation?

Nearly everyone has SOME pre-existing medical conditions. ------------- So what the heck do you want? A $10,,000 investigation of each one of 600,000 corpses? Not gonna happen.

Also, there was no "Flu took a vacation" situation. Well, not entirely. The distancing, masks, school closures, workplace closures, stay-at-home, etc crushed the flu's transmission rate to the curb. People still died of flu just not nearly as many as usual. This happened worldwide, too. Far out of reach of any US numbers influence,

This was a pleasant Silver-Lining side effect of the harsh Covid measures.

·
Registered
13,628 Posts
Side note from the Soapbox: Come July, in hospitals all across the US, will be thousands of Covid patients suffering, & some dying, simply because they CHOSE to not get the shot.

How pathetically pointless is that?

Currently the Covid Hospital Admission rate is at 2,574 per week. Many, if not most, are likely just stubborn Anti-Vaxxers who wrongly thought that hiding from the vax was somehow beneficial They ignored expert advice, and now they are all screwed up, if not dying outright. All for nothing.

Will the staff call these Hospital wings, full of folks struggling to breathe, "Moron Wards" ? Probably yes, between themselves. Sad, sad stuff.

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
We can agree to disagree on several points but I'll offer this...

I have close friends in two different hospital systems... nothing I'm said above originated with me. I don't know what the real numbers are and neither do you or the cdc, because all the hospitals were fudging the numbers for a long time.

We have members of our weekly bible study that had flu and had to go to another town and pay out of pocket to get a flu test because the scott & white system was NOT testing for flu. THey were "presumptive positive" and counted as covid cases, per their own Dr.. Guess what- positive for the flu and negative for covid. This story has been repeated with lots of people in our church and community, it's even been on the local nightly news.

Now, I'm not a heartless sob, I know it's real and knew a couple people that died and had severe complications but I also know they are the great minority of cases.

As for the vax- that's another thread entirely. I think the vax is a good idea for old folks who haven't had covid. Lots of new research coming out about complications and strokes in young people. Also some showing if you have had covid, the vax offers no additional protection. I'm not anti vax, but one of our closest Dr. friends doesn't recommend it, and this was her specialty when she was at the Mayo Clinic.

peace, out

·
Premium Member
9,498 Posts
Good posts Fletch.
Maggie is still wearing a mask in the car and believes this comes from bats. The Fauci folly is crumbling. He is getting backed into a corner. Once the Dems smash him, because that’s what they do, they will blame all of the fake numbers on him once the truth is discovered.
He wasn’t as criminal as Hillary, he forgot to delete his emails.

·
Premium Member
9,498 Posts
Nitro .45 -------------- Not sure what you are asking or saying. You said "insisting on funding the BS" AND you recommended "build facilities" too ---------- Dude, isn't that Funding The BS? Which is it, Man? Pick a side.

Good lord, by funding, it was clear that I meant just handing out free crap. Use the SAME money currently being spent and do something worthwhile with it. They’re just throwing buckets of KFC under the bridge and hoping it goes away.

And this "tell them to get a job or walk into the ocean" ?? what the heck does THAT mean? You cannot force employers to HIRE screwed-up people. And yeah, I'll be sure to drive past homeless folks, yelling out the window at them to jump in the ocean. That should fix things forthwith.

That refers directly to the lazy asses that are there for a free ride. Do you deny that exists? And you’re OK with that? Of course you are.
And Phoenix and Houston are NOT closed. They have their own homeless problems. ----------- Just like your own hometown where you haven't solved your own homeless problems either. Heck, you even just mentioned Spreading Disease
Ummm, you know me well enough to know sarcasm when I toss it out. They should be!
And yes, I do live in Mayberry. At least I did. Unfortunately, we are seeing an allowed growth of homeless panhandlers. A total result of a liberal city council. There is a push to oust some of these characters. At our next meeting, I will suggest that we solve the problem by sending some of these folks out to SanDiego. Both the council members AND the panhandlers. You won’t mind.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts