1911Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I went to a gun show in West lebanon NH this weekend and happen to find a Colt 1911A1 government 45 acp Special Edition 1 of only 200 made. On the barrel was the Rattlesnake with the words "Don't Tread On Me". I was so so close to parting with the 950$ they were asking. But I held my ground for now. I have been recently been looking at the new Springfield XD 40 but after picking up and holding the Colt I seem to be shifting back toward the 1911's. Although I know the Xd mixes glock, sig and 1911 features. I really love the trigger type on the 1911 over that of the XD. What would be the recoil difference between the .40 and .45. Also I know that kimber also makes a really nice 1911 would it be better to spend a little bit more and go with the colt or save a bit and get the kimber,springfield, or other. This gun would be used for carry and target mainly. Any thoughts or recommendations, I do understand that this is a very personal decision on my part, I am just looking for experiences and thoughts on my dilemna.

Thanks in advance for your time,
Armand

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
WELL, LET ME SAY THE OBVIOUS Colt can fit pretty much any need you have with their various sizes and weights of 1911's. The XD looks like it could be a good functional piece even if it feels like it was chizled from a brick, but for me and my household, we will choose the 1911 Colts.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Why not buy both?
For the $950 price of the special edition I would shop around.

Kind of an apples and oranges thing.
But I happen to like them both.

K.

·
Banned
1,049 Posts
For $950 you can get a Springfield WWII and the XD & probably have a little change for a couple of boxes of ammo.

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
COLT COLT COLT COLT COLT COLT COLT!! DID SOMEONE SAY COLT.:D :D :D :D :D Tracy

·
Premium Member
20,401 Posts
I just saw one of those limited edition Talo's on an auction site for $850, just can't remember which one. They're so common that they will never be collectors, but could make a decent shooter.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have a XD 40 Service Model as well as a NRM SS Combat Commander. The Commander will outshoot the XD any day of the week. But, it better since I paid more for the Colt and did quite a bit of work to it in the past week. The XD uses the same grip angle as a 1911, has a Sig takedown, 1911 grip safety, and a glock trigger. This gun is awesome, but will not outshoot the Commander. 1000rds so far in the XD. The first 250 I had problems with Failure to fires due to a burr in the firing pin hole.

The torture test video for the XD is interesting. -70*, dropping it off a building, water, sand etc. I guess the only thing I dont like about the XD is the finish. The bluing will scratch very easily.

·
Banned
4,130 Posts
The XD vs. a Colt 1911 is like apples vs. oranges. I would say the XD should make a very good defense tool if a tool is all you desire. Good price, should be reliable, defnese accurate, and a gun you probably wouldn't mind knocking around a bit.

The Colt on the other hand is also a tool, but is so much more as well. The particular Colt you were looking at is sort of a novelty Colt, not a model I personally would buy for general use or collecting. I see it sort of like a "fad" Colt. But to those who like that, it's great. Certainly it would get the job done just fine, but it's made more for the novelty purpose than as a straight-forward quality tool that is art as well. That particular Colt would definitely be low on my list as a carry piece.... but it will do whatever job you assign to it.

Your choice all depends on what you really want the gun for. Get a basic Colt 1991A1 or 1911A1 or Commander if you want a fine tool with charisma and history which few other handguns can even dream of. Or get the XD if you just want to buy a working tool and don't care about charm, elegance, history, charisma, etc.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Even after all the great suggestions here, it still boils down to this: it's your choice.

Isn't it wonderful that we can have these choices! Variety is the spice of life.

Whatever you choose, I know that you will have a blast. Let us all know which way you went.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
choices

I do understand that it ultamitely comes down to my choice, but I really like all the feed back that has been given so far. I am in hopes that parents get me my xd for xmas then I will be able to get my own 1911 next year. I think that if I still have problems making up my mind I will just have to end up with both of them.. ohh.. pity me ;-)

I am still interested in all experiences and information concerning this choice. Keep them coming ;-) and Thanks

Armand

·
Registered
52 Posts
I recently traded my XD 9mm for my Colt pocket nine. I will never own another polymer frame gun. I am currently trading my Glock 33 for a Colt.

Forget the XD, it is not your opinion, forget the XD and get the colt, it is not a personal choice, forget the XD and get the Colt Insted of getting both get two Colts trust me it is the right thing to do.

GET THE COLT.

P.S. If you really want an SA get a real one. You know what I mean.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Get the XD and a WW2 Springfield Mil-Spec .45, 2 for the price of one. The XD is an excellent gun, so what if the lower is polymer...so is glock. I just traded my Colt XSE straight across for a like new RRA AR15 tactical.......it was an even trade, altho the Colt XSE was an excellent gun I wanted an AR, sold one of my 3 AKs and bought a WW2 mil-spec Springfield so Ive still got a .45.

·
Registered
9 Posts
O.K.-just to be a pain in the but, somebody's gotta do it. If you're somewhat new to handguns the Colt can seem like a handful if you haven't shot one before or have someone around to give you some pointers. Things such as limpwristing causing FTFs seems to be a common problem for those new to 1911s. As does waving them around a bit too freely with a round chambered and thumb safety off.

The 1911 takes a bit more training and presence of mind to use. Not a lot-but a bit more than something decidedly Glock-like.

Training to engage/disingage the thumb safety each time and the light first and subsequent pulls of a single action trigger takes some time to "settle in."

I have a few Colts and dearly love shooting them. The 1911 is MY favorite but I have a friend who recently started shooting who went with the XD. With the lighter caliber, recoil is a little less of a thump and the trigger on those are surprisingly nice. It is reliable and reasonably accurate. He has learned fairly quickly how to handle and shoot his XD fairly well. He hasn't had such an easy time shooting some of my Colts.

At the price, an XD is pretty hard to beat. I think you can find them for 350-400 bucks. They are a little easier to learn to shoot quickly and cost about 150-200 less than a new Colt.

If you're new to shooting, the XD is a route that has enough positives that makes it hard to dismiss. If you're not new to shooting, and you've read this far, I'm sorry to have wasted your time with a buncha long-winded soap-box hooey you already know and could've done without!

One last thing, if you decide on the Colt, it might take a little more time to master, it might cost a little more money, but I'm sure you won't regret that decision either.

Just one guys $.02, take it for what it's worth and good luck!

·
Registered
175 Posts
NEVER SAY NEVER

AZ excuse me but you should never say never to a statement about the Talo rattlesnake edition. If your referring to the premier model, well 750 of em is 3 times and then some of the 200 rattlesnakes.
Don't you think it's possible that some day it might be a collector piece unfired and never racked? Just my 2 cents worth!
dirtyharry

·
Registered
297 Posts
Dirtyharry has an excellent point. How many pre-series 70 National Match pistols did Colt make between 1957 and 1971? What would one in "Unfired with original box and paperwork" condition go for now?

It may take a few years, but if the rattlesnake / Talo edition pistols truly are only 1 of 200, they'll probably be excellent collection pieces.

But I buy guns to shoot, so I would just stick with the basic 1991 or 1911 XSE design. One thing is for sure, I'd be hard pressed to buy a 1911 from any one but Colt.

I see the SA XD the same way I see a Glock. Sure, it's a fine weapon and fine tool, but it's one the department will issue to me, so I can spend my hard earned money on the gun that I really want.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Collector's value all depends on what the market down the road. XD's are nice but too big for my hands. The Colts are great because most of the parts in the Colts are perfectly suited for use in a custom gun. I wouldn't drop $950 on the TALO when a 1991 can be had for $525 and up, and a 1911 for $725 and up.

·
Banned
4,130 Posts
It's a really rare gun that I would see as any kind of an "investment" at all. Basically, I think the vast majority of guns (including ones that some people call "collectors") are just a nice, enjoyable place to park your money for awhile.

For me, I like shooting all of my guns and enjoying them... but that sure doesn't mean I beat them up either! Most of mine look brand new even with some thousands of rounds through them. Of course, it's always nice to have a gun or two that is rock steady reliable, defense accurate, packs a punch, AND you can BEAT UP TOO! (Sounds something like a Glock or an XD, no?)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts