1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning while shooting a rather new colt 1991a1, the firing pin stop popped out. I had several previous failures to go completely into battery. Upon stripping earlier, I had noticed the hole for the FP plunger hole cut out was rather rough and sometimes the plunger woudl not spring back up into place....
any ideas, or has anyone ever dealt with this before? Other wise, it shot like a champ. I'm thinking i need to go in and smooth out that plunger hole so it can spring back freely-what I am thinking happened is that the plunger was stuck down, the firing pin struck and never came back, so the stop came out.
any help would be appreciated.
thanks,
Derek

·
Registered
52 Posts
It sounds like it might be two problems.
1. The hole in the stop might be off center.
2. The firing pin stop is too loose (floating during firing).

The stop is not worth "fixing". Have it replaced by a gunsmith.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
364 Posts
Could be that your extractor is actually moving because the slot where the FP Stop slides into it is too big. If the extractor goes forward, it will actually "trap" the FP Plunger, and if the FP is slow to return, when the hammer slides off the FP Stop at the rear of the cycle, the FP Stop will fall off.

------------------
Really interesting....Don't ya think??

·
Registered
417 Posts
One possibility is that the FP stop is a bit too loose. One indicator of this, besides the problem you have, it erratic ejection of fired brass. If the ejected brass falls in every direction, and at varying distances, it could mean that your FP stop is too loose, and allowing the extractor to "clock" in its channel, as well as sometimes actually falling out, either all the way out, or just enough to prevent the slide from going fully into battery.

You can kill two birds with one part by installing an oversize stop, and fitting it to your slide, so that it fits snugly into its groove, and into the extractor as well. No more erratic ejection, and cycling problems.

I think this is discussed in one of the technical issue articles at the 1911.org site, but I can't remember off hand. You might want to spend some time there, anyway. It has a wealth of information, and you can spend many pleasurable hours there. You can get to it through the "links" link at the top of the page, and clicking on the first link in the list.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I had the same thing happen with my 1991 Commander. I took it to my gunsmith and he replaced the firing pin spring. He said that would fix it, but the FP stop was slightly loose, so he peened the stop and it now fits and functions perfectly. Quick and easy fix and he only charged me $5.00 for the spring.

Problem solved.

Just my .02 worth.

·
Registered
77 Posts
One other thought ... I had a loose extractor. It would twist in the channel, and block the firing pin safety. In my case, all it did was make the trigger pull weight change from shot to shot.
If you have the same problem, it could be making the firing pin safety catch the firing pin before it returns fully. The firing pin stop will then fall out.
Easy way to check it. Pull slide back to slide lock. Use a plastic or wood pick and try to move the extractor by pushing on the lower or upper face of the flat part of the extractor next to the firing pin stop. If it moves, that's your problem. HTH
Walt

1 - 7 of 7 Posts