1911Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.
I'm a new to the 1911 scene, so please help me. I have allready Glock 23 and now I would like to buy a 1911 style pistol and my question is: Are 1911 pistols reliable "out of the box", since I heard that you have to make a lot of modifications to it before it becomes reliable, why is that so? I shot Norinco 1911 in the range couple of times and had no problems.( The gun has not been modified at all and it has had zero problems in it's 5 year range life and it has been shot a lot.) Is the whole thing all about personal or cosmetic issues or what??? How about the new 1911's like SW1911 and Sig something, and what do think about Norincos in general. Are they all reliable without modifications done to them? Since I heard that they should be reliable because they are so new and use only quality parts in them. I plan to use my future 1911 only for personal and home defence and range shooting along with my Glock, not for competitions or practical shooting events. And I dont want to spend any money to customise a pistol that should be reliable enough "out of the box" anyway. So please help me with my lack of knowledge.

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
Welcome!

Most people have good luck with new 1911s these days without any modifications. Even guns from the low cost makers like Springfield and Rock Island have good reliability. However, ALL manufacturers can and do produce lemons. Look for good customer service, that way they'll fix it if there's a problem.

You should be wary of advice from anyone who tells you that 1911s must be modified in order to be reliable. For over 90 years, the design has been the standard by which other automatic pistols are judged. That should tell you something.

This forum has tons of info on this topic. Try the search feature and see what turns up.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
For out of the box reliability and durability, the Norinco is one of the best, fully equivalent (IMHO) to the GI pistols. I have two - one has gone well over 8k rounds and the other 2 k, no failures of any kind, and they both look brand new.

Some people modify the 1911 type for specific games, others as personal preference, others because they want to use ammunition that the stock gun will not handle well.

Jim

1 - 3 of 3 Posts