1911Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the grip width of your single stack 1911? Last night I was part of a discussion on another forum where someone posted that the grip width on his 1911 is 1.050. I thought that was extremely thin. I've never owned a single stack 1911 before so I really don't know. I do know that in Kimber's catalog, it states that their single stacks are 1.280 in width. I have 3 1911s which are from Para Ordnance, and their grip widths are all 1.320. So what are the grip widths on yours?

· Registered
302 Posts
I just checked the blueprint. The frame with no grips is 0.751" wide. I believe that original grips were supposed to be 0.26" each. That would make the total width 1.27".

I don't have any slim profile grips to measure (I have big hands), but I don't think it is unlikely that you can find grips that are 0.15" thick. With such grips the total width would be 1.051".

Maybe someone with the slim profile grips can chime in to confirm if 1.050" is correct.

· Registered
879 Posts
I'm the fella Carlos referred to when stating there was a thread on another forum. I read that thread and immediately measured my Springfield Ultra Compact. It does have very thin grips and I chose those thin grips for concealmeant purposes. The thread he refers to discussed the thickness of 1911's for concealed carry.

I took out my trusty dial caliper and measured through the mid-portion (vertically) of the grips, about midway between the grip screws. It does measure precisely 1.050 inches and is almost the same thickness as the slide but I did not measure the slide.

· Registered
3,037 Posts
The two slimmest commercial grips I've found for a 1911 are Alumagrips Slimline grips and Altamount's Slim-Tech grips. Slim-Techs are advertised as being .150" (3.8mm) thick. I haven't measured them myself and don't plan to do it. The Alumagrip Slimlines seem to be about the same thickness, an impression rather than the result of measurement.

I hope that helps. If anyone knows of slimmer grips please share that information.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.