1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who makes a good 1911 slide holster? Can you point to sources where I might pick one up cheap?

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
im not sure i know what your talking about. "slide holster"

sorry, maybe i know it as something else....

russel
SDMF

·
Premium Member
20,405 Posts
Beware the dreaded slide holster! They're advertised to hold any length of a maker's gun, but are dangerous. Not only don't they protect your muzzle and slide, but they are notorious for not holding your weapon securely. When you sit down, the muzzle is pushed upwards. When you lean or rub against an hard object, your valuable pistol is scraped. Fall down on your strong side, and you're almost guaranteed the gun will be ejected from the holster. Stick with a dedicated holster for your particular weapon. Those that "fit all" really don't fit anything.

·
Registered
15,317 Posts
AZ Husker gives good advice

I own-n-use three Galco 'Yaqui Slides', one for my Witnesses, one for my now-sold Glock M20-but-still-fits-other-guns, and one 'lefty' for certain special uses.

They DO NOT secure the gun; guns can fall out, exactly as stated.
Bad.

But good enough to lend someone at a USPSA match, with their 'generic' fit. Only.

·
Super Moderator
13,561 Posts
The proper term for this type of holster is "belt slide". When I first read the post, I thought he meant a holster for a slide, ***? :)

I have to disagree on using the JIT for this application. I love my JIT, I have two of them. One for my 2" K frame S&W, the other for my M&P Compact. The concept works real well with short barrel length, i.e. barrel/slide that comes down even or slightly exposed below the front hole of the holster. Any longer length barrel will cause the sight to snag on the opening on the upstroke of the draw and may or may not give you a bad day. I tried a full size M&P in my JIT, while it fits (exposing a chunk of slide), the front sight occasionally snags on the holster and impedes the draw stroke. One must be very cautious with this set up.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Not to flame anyone, but I carry 4" and 5" 1911s in top quality belt slides drom Tucker(HF2) Horseshoe and Fist, and don't have any problems with retention,drawing or damage to the pistol.

G

·
I made and sold a lot of belt slides for all makes and models. Heck I even like the way the gun looks in one. Especially the short barrel guns.

I carry in a belt slide quite often in the summer time and I have never had a single problem.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Rick Bachman at Old West reproductions makes one of the best I've ever used..I have many different style holsters and the Bachman Slide is my favorite. Very secure and completely covers the trigger...

·
Registered
4 Posts
I can't speak for the experience of others or what factors might have contributed to their experience, but I often use a Yaqui holster from Galco (of the paddle variety) for holding my Springfield Micro-Compact, and it's quite secure. I honestly wouldn't expect it to drop my gun if I ran a mile with it on.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have a couple of Don Hume J.I.T. holsters and they don't work for me. With the one for my Ruger SP101 2 1/4 inch the slightest nudge on the barrel muzzle pushes it up for enough that it is loose and unsecure. The one for my P94 fits so oddly that despite attempts to loosen it up it still takes two hands to draw, one to hold the holster down and the other to pull the gun out of the holster, otherwise the holster is pulled up with the belt causing the gun to bind in the holster.
Hume makes some decent holsters, especially for their prices, and I have several other models that I like very well, I just can't recommend the J.I.T.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts