1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I try to move the slide back, at first, it is very hard to move, almost like the hinge pin housing of the barrel is caught or something, or it is siezed. After the initial very hard push, it breaks free, and will move freely, until it gets back to being in full battery. If I let the slide back, while I am holding it, it will not go into full battery, it will stop at the same spot, as if the housing is catching. If I let it go, it will from the force of the spring, go into battery.

I have disassembled, reassembled, cleaned, lubed, greased, a littel bit of everything. The hinge pin swings freely when the barrel is out.

Any ideas from anyone on what it may be, and what I can do next would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

·
Registered
327 Posts
Is your pistol brand new and unfired? If not, has a new barrel and/or bushing recently been installed? If it is stopping just a quarter inch or less from going into battery when you let the slide down slowly, it could be a really tight barrel to bushing fit, just needing a break in period. If you are not noticing some definite marks from rubbing elsewhere, it may be something as simple as a really tight fit up front. Anyway, that would be my first reaction to what you are describing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have probably 1500 rounds through it, and this is a recent thing. Same barrel, same bushing. I do not notice any other major marks anywhere. I see the normal movement type of marks, but that is it.

And yes it is just a quarter inch or less from full battery. I have fired 30 rounds through it or so since I first noticed it, and it functioned fine, after the inital stick of getting it to come back. After that it functions flawlessly.

It is a hard enough initial pull, that my wife, nor my 14 yr old son can do it.

If I have the bushing off the gun, it is still hard to move the slide from full battery.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Well, something is binding. With the barrel and recoil system removed, if the slide will move up and back on the frame freely, you are back to the barrel as the likely issue. May be easier to let a pistolsmith have a quick look see.

But you can also take a look at the little frame slot where the barrel link nests to see if there is a build up of fouling in there that might be binding the bottom of the barre link (you know, that little slot at the bottom of the frame right behind where the recoil guide fits). Q-tips and solvent will clean it up if fouling has had a chance to build up in there. Basically, look for anything that could be binding barrel movement. Do the bottom barrel lugs, link and slide stop look okay? You might also think about posting this question in the Gunsmithing area and hope the pistolsmiths see your post.

·
Premium Member
15,214 Posts
I've seen a darn piece of brass off a cartridge case get stuck in there and bind up the slide. Look it over real closely. Also, take the barrel out and move the bushing on it. If the barrel is 'ringed' a little the bushing will grab.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The link pin had drifted over just a touch, and was catching on one side. I drifted it back and all seems to be working well now. Is this something I should be concerned with?

Thanks all!

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
You might want to lightly stake both sides of the link pin, just so it can't happen again. For info see one of Kuhnhausen's (sp) Books or a US Army Depot Maintenance Manual.

Warmly, Col. Colt

"Beware of Counterfeits & Patent Infringements" - from a mid-1850's Colt Newspaper Ad. Just as true now as 150 years ago!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts