1911Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am having trouble cycling my 1911 with a storm lake barrel and fusion slide. When I try to rack the slide, it will move back about 1/8th of an inch and then it will lock and won't budge. I use a rubber mallet to get the slide back into battery.

However, when the slide is in battery, I can push down on the barrel hood and rack the slide and it goes back fine. I've tried using dykem to see if it is binding anywhere but couldn't see anything.

I've searched online and have tried most of the suggestions to no avail. I am hoping for more ideas before taking it to a gunsmith. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
You should wait for pros to chime in, but I think I had similar problems with incorrect barrel link size.

·
Premium Member
2,832 Posts
When did the problem occur? Was it working before some change was made?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Is this a new build or new barrel fit or was this a previously functioning gun? Remove the slide and barrel, then put the barrel in the frame and insert the slide stop with the lever hanging down and not locked into the frame.. Now push the barrel down onto the frame bed and rearward against the vertical impact surface. At this point the slide stop should rotate freely with no pressure from the link. If not then your link could be to long or the VIS of the frame to far forward. If it passes this test then put the barrel in the slide without the guide rod or spring and place back on the frame. Now pull the slide rearward about 1/4" and see if there is a gap between the bottom of the slide and the chamber of the barrel and will the slide travel rearward without binding on the barrel? If it will travel rearward without binding then insert the slide stop, again without the guide rod or spring and see if the gun will unlock and travel rearward without binding. If it passes all of these tests its probably not a link problem or a shallow barrel bed or a VIS that is to far forward. Do those and reply back and you may get more ideas from some of the even more experienced smiths.

·
Registered
7,402 Posts
If it happens an 1/8" out of battery, then it's not a vis problem. You had the right idea with dykem, keep trying that. Pushing down on the bbl is a big clue. Pull the link and see if that helps. If not, then pay close attention to what onespeedbiker said, cuz he's probably right. Don't forget to check the lower lug fit into the frame. Also make sure the lower lugs clear the guide rod head.

·
Premium Member
2,832 Posts
Just had one with a similar-sounding problem. The barrel hood extension was just a tad too wide on the rightside. The hood extension would intermittently catch on the front corner of the slide hood extension relief and jam the barrel against the slide at the front of the ejection port. Pressing down on the barrel would release the bind and the slide would close.

The point is that with no more information than we have here, it could be lots of things.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the replies. I tried the steps as suggested by jimmel196. I got to the "If it passes this test then put the barrel in the slide without the guide rod or spring and place back on the frame. Now pull the slide rearward about 1/4" and see if there is a gap between the bottom of the slide and the chamber of the barrel and will the slide travel rearward without binding on the barrel?" Without the guide rod and spring and no slide stop, the barrel will still bind and lock the slide.

I am going to put dykem on the barrel hood and barrel hood extension and report back tomorrow to see if any of it is causing the lockup.

This is a storm lake drop in barrel and it's a new barrel that I'm trying to fit. Unfortunately, I don't have another barrel to test it in the gun right now.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Thanks for all the replies. I tried the steps as suggested by jimmel196. I got to the "If it passes this test then put the barrel in the slide without the guide rod or spring and place back on the frame. Now pull the slide rearward about 1/4" and see if there is a gap between the bottom of the slide and the chamber of the barrel and will the slide travel rearward without binding on the barrel?" Without the guide rod and spring and no slide stop, the barrel will still bind and lock the slide.

I am going to put dykem on the barrel hood and barrel hood extension and report back tomorrow to see if any of it is causing the lockup.

This is a storm lake drop in barrel and it's a new barrel that I'm trying to fit. Unfortunately, I don't have another barrel to test it in the gun right now.
As I mentioned, the drop-in barrel will fit without modifications with most slides, but most slides doesn't mean all slides. Keep us in the loop..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As I mentioned, the drop-in barrel will fit without modifications with most slides, but most slides doesn't mean all slides. Keep us in the loop..
I tried seeing if there was any binding on the barrel using dykem and I didn't see any places where it rubbed off. I reapplied a thicker coating last night and I'll test it again when I get home. Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm reviving this thread because I'm still having problems and I finally have the time to try and diagnose the problem again.

I just want to see if there's anything else I could try before I go out and buy different size barrel links to see if that fixes things.

Right now, if the slide is in battery, I can get the slide stop into the frame. Once the slide moves rearward, the slide stop no longer fits through the link because the link hole is lower than the frame hole. I used a steel punch with a diameter smaller than the slide stop and was able to fit the punch inside the holes and the slide and barrel cycles perfectly. So right now, my problem is that when the slide is out of battery, I can't get the slide stop in. And if I get the slide stop in when it is in battery, then the original problem occurs where the slide will get stuck because the barrel seems like it's still locked up.

·
Premium Member
11,560 Posts
What frame? 80% or 100%? What instructions/reference material are you using to guide you? How well does the slide stop pin work with just the barrel assembly? Will it clear the corner as you move the link through the range of motion?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What frame? 80% or 100%? What instructions/reference material are you using to guide you? How well does the slide stop pin work with just the barrel assembly? Will it clear the corner as you move the link through the range of motion?
It's a 100% frame but new build. I have tried all the steps that jimmel196 provided at the top of the thread and all the steps passed. The slide stop pin works great with just the barrel assembly. I've used the youtube video posted to fit the barrel hood and have used dykem to even out the lock up of the upper lugs. So now I'm afraid if I "fit" anymore of the barrel, that it will end up lose during lockup.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just for those who helped and for others in the future who might have the same problem, it turned out to be the length of the barrel link being too long.

I just purchased the 5 pack Wilson Combat barrel links and put in #1 (shortest) one and the slide works perfectly now and has great lockup. So much for StormLake "pre-fit" barrel. Well, I guess the barrel was pre-fit, it was the link that didn't fit.

Thanks again for all those who helped.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts