1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend that has an old Colt USGI 1911. I think that the original barrel has been changed out on it. The slide sticks out past the frame at the rear. Question; what is the procedure for "blending" the slide to frame fit ? In other words, how do you make the slide and frame fit evenly at the rear ? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
Is it worth blending the slide to match the frame on an old USGI pistol? How old is it, is it even wise to shoot it a lot? Have you checked down in the USGI section on exactly what kind or 1911 you have? Is it rare?

You'll destroy all collector value it may have and you may regret doing that.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have a friend that has an old Colt USGI 1911. I think that the original barrel has been changed out on it. The slide sticks out past the frame at the rear. Question; what is the procedure for "blending" the slide to frame fit ? In other words, how do you make the slide and frame fit evenly at the rear ? Thanks.
That's a good question. I'm new here but there are a lot of smart 1911 folks on this forum. Do you have a pic ? Are we talking micro ? ie you can feel it not see it,or is it clearly visible? I'm guessing maybe mismatched parts,or a complete dis-assembly,cleaning and mic-ing. I'm gonna follow this one.good luck.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry no pictures. With the slide closed into battery, the amount of slide that is sticking out past the frame at the rear is clearly visible. Maybe an 1/8 inch or more. I don't know if it's true or not, but I have heard that the slide to frame fit (blending) can be made even by removing metal at the lower front of the barrel lug. ??? This is said to move the slide forward. But I am not a gunsmith, that's why I ask this question to the experts.

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
Well yes the barrel hood and lower lugs define where the two come to a stop, but as I said, is it really worth it? You'd be defacing a great old gun.

Perhaps a new surplus barrel would be a better way to go?

·
Premium Member
11,666 Posts
Purely a cosmetic issue and quite common on USGI and even some commercial guns. It can be induced by swapping barrels as in the GI mixmaster guns. If the barrel is in spec, it would be hugely foolish to try to blend the slide by cutting the barrel. You would ruin the barrel and reduce the value of the gun. Most likely anything you start changing on that gun will decrease the value. Even the mixmasters are becoming quite valuable as complete originals get priced completely out of the range of most buyers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts