1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a Colt 1911 made in 1918 for years, when I got it, it had a Remington slide on it which I traded off for a 1911 Colt slide. It was a pretty close match, but the slide was more black than the frame which was a grey finish. I got another 1911 slide today, The one with the horsey in the middle of the lettering and it matches my frame perfectly except for the last inch or so on the front which is black. I know that in the thirties they hardened some of the slides but I don't remember the circumstances, can someone clue me in? Also would this lessen the value of the pistol?

Thanks

sfvet

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,344 Posts
I don't think the slides were hardened until the early '40s. If the slide doesn't say MODEL OF 1911 U.S. ARMY on the right side, it's probably from the early WWII era; if that's the case, there should be a serial number stamped around the hole for the firing pin at the rear of the slide. If there's no number, then it's later still. Since you have what amounts to a "parts gun", I'd say there's not much you can do to hurt, or enhance the value. But, I'd think a 1918 slide is a better match, regardless of finish, than what appears to be a WWII slide.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have had a Colt 1911 made in 1918 for years, when I got it, it had a Remington slide on it which I traded off for a 1911 Colt slide. It was a pretty close match, but the slide was more black than the frame which was a grey finish. I got another 1911 slide today, The one with the horsey in the middle of the lettering and it matches my frame perfectly except for the last inch or so on the front which is black. I know that in the thirties they hardened some of the slides but I don't remember the circumstances, can someone clue me in? Also would this lessen the value of the pistol?

Thanks

sfvet
I have a loose 1918 slide if your interested. email [email protected]

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Hardened Slides

Colt started hardening the slides of the Government Models in the mid 1920's and the first hardened 1911A1 slides was in 1937.
If your slide is showing the tempering mark, I have doubts about it being a 1911 slide.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Slide

Howdy,

Hey Hitch-you still got the slide? I don't want to step on any trade you might have with sfvet. I bought a Colt 1911 and the left side of the slide has been bubba-ized-the marking have been removed. The right side shows serial number and I think US Army Model 1911. there is no bluing whatsoever. It looks like a matte stainless(I know it ain't). It was mfgd in 1918 too. Let me know what you want for it. http://s254.photobucket.com/albums/hh96/mickmccrady/?action=view&current=P1040127-1.jpg

John

·
Registered
108 Posts
Howdy,

Hey Hitch-you still got the slide? I don't want to step on any trade you might have with sfvet. I bought a Colt 1911 and the left side of the slide has been bubba-ized-the marking have been removed. The right side shows serial number and I think US Army Model 1911. there is no bluing whatsoever. It looks like a matte stainless(I know it ain't). It was mfgd in 1918 too. Let me know what you want for it. http://s254.photobucket.com/albums/hh96/mickmccrady/?action=view&current=P1040127-1.jpg

John
Sent you an email

1 - 6 of 6 Posts