1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to put together a spare parts kit for my 1911. What parts, in your experience, are most prone to failure? Please list, by order of importance, the parts that I should keep on hand...thanks!

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Here's what I carry, in order of what usually wears or breaks first...

-recoil spring
-fitted firing pin stop
-fitted and tuned extractor
-slide stop
-firing pin spring
-firing pin

·
Registered
594 Posts
1. At least 1 of each spring in your 1911.
2. I also keep a spare disconnector and sear but have never had a problem with those.
3. I also keep 5 mags new not used and rotated out.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I keep the following on hand (not necessarily based on what is prone to failure):

Full set of pins and springs (1911 rebuild kit--Wilson sells it). Pins and springs are easy to lose if you're detail stripping the gun.
sear spring
firing pin and f/p spring
firing pin stop
slide stop
tuned extractor
recoil spring
guide rod plug (easy to lose)
spare bushing (a "just in case" fit will work)
guide rod (this is important if you're using a tungsten guide rod)
extra recoil buffers (if you use them)
disconnector
ejector
plunger tube

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
A second 1911A1?

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
MOLON LABE
Leonidas c 480 BC
FFF

·
Registered
61 Posts
No one has mentioned it, but the only part that I have had actually break, was the thumb safety. and of course it was during a match. I agree with JimV- a second 1911 is better than a handfull of parts. Because it seems that things will only break when you need it!
Daniel

------------------
1 peter 5:8

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
I have enough spare parts to be able to change out any part that does not requir fitting, is dissassembled during field stripping, or can be replaced without any sort of significant adjustment being made.

Guide rod
Recoil spring
Recoil spring cap
Firing pin
Firing pin spring
Firing pin stop
slide stop
grips
grip screws
grip bushings
extractor

I don't have one, but a barrel bushing is a good idea as well.

These are all parts that can be put on by me, at the range, don't require a smith or special tools.

·
Registered
366 Posts
You needed an excuse to buy another 1911, didn't you? Bring your second 1911 along. If it is a match, you will doubtfully have time to tinker with the possible cause. Simply grab the other gun and you are back in the fight, the practice session, or back in the match.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts