1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Iam working on a protective detail in Mexico and the only firearm the Gov will let me use is .38 or .38 Super. Iam looking for a very reliable .38 super in a 1911 style platform any ideas or suggestions. Thank you in advance

FR

·
Registered
203 Posts
38 Super

Rock Island Armory is making them in the 1911 platform
and they can be bought in the US.

As taken from a recent Shotgun News story titled ,
The .38 Super Worlds Second Best Fighting Handgun?

"The Rock Island Armory .45 was now available in .38 Super."
"This solid pistol is a best buy, a superb GI gun".

Colt made a great 1911 pistol in 38 Super
and there might be some old used Colt's down there but,
you would really be taking a chance on their condition being in good working order and in a serviceable condition.
Not a good idea for EP duty.

Just get a nice used Colt if you can find one here or,
get a Rock Island model and test it out prior to your deployment.
Hope that helped.
Good luck and stay safe.
45Cal

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a RIA mil spec 1911 and it simply awesome considering the money I paid for it about $375. I have a SA TRP and have never been happy with it considering the money I paid for it! Will look into the Colt and Kimbers. Thanks gents

FR

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
SVI will make you a .38 Super,

9x23, or anything else from 9x19 to .45 and in just about any configuration you desire. GO to:

www.sviguns.com

and click on GunBuilder to see all the possible options.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
You could get one of nifty Glock .380's while your down there, those things look awsome.

Have fun

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I have a Kimber Stainless Target II in .38 Super and its been an excellent performer.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Colt is Making the 38Supers in an enhanced model.. The 2 I have gotten this year have both been excelent fit, finnish and shoot everything I can feed through them.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Reaper, in your case, money should NOT be a consideration. I would get the Colt and, if possible, shoot the heck out of it before taking it to Mexico. Make sure it is 100% with the intended carry ammo and magazines. Some of the other clones are foreign made, and service is iffy. You can buy cheaper, of course; it's your neck.

Jim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts